HelloYoga is an online magazine where people share their stories about discovering yoga, trying it for the first time, and the changes that developing a regular practice eventually brought into their lives. To kick-start this new publication, we're hiring writers.
To contribute, you must have practiced yoga regularly (i.e. minimum three times per week) for over one year and experienced some kind of meaningful change.
WHAT TO WRITE
We’d like you to write your personal story about starting yoga and how it has benefitted you. For example:
- What got you curious about yoga?
- What pushed you “over the edge” towards seeking out your first class?
- How did you find that first class?
- How did you feel visiting that yoga class for the first time?
- What was the teacher like?
- What was the studio/venue like?
- What did you experience in that first class?
- What made you want to continue yoga?
- Did you try a number of different teachers/classes?
- How did it change your life as time went by?
Your story will need to be emotional and relatable. People should feel something when they read it. There is no set formula. You could use humor or inspiration. Or, perhaps your first experience was a bad one and you’d like to vent about it — that’s fine too.
To get an idea of the kind of stories we like, read the ones we have already published.
HOW TO CONTRIBUTE YOUR STORY
1. Make a Profile on Medium
Note: HelloYoga’s mission is to be a place of openness, transparency, honesty, and authenticity where readers can relate to the stories being told by the writers. We therefore seek writers who will use their full real name, use a presentable profile photo that clearly shows their face, fill out their profile bio nicely so readers can get an idea of who they are, and link their Twitter and Facebook (if available).
You can see example Medium profiles here.
2. Write Your Story on Medium as a Draft
- Must be over 1,500 words (no particular maximum, though)
- Include any relevant pictures or other visuals (they must either be images that you own or that meet the standards of the Creative Commons Zero (CC0) license).
- At a minimum, please use at least one image. We are aiming for a magazine-style look, so all our stories have a screen-width image at the top that is over 2,500 pixels wide.
- Add three tags that are relevant to the contents of your story.
- Note, please do not publish your story. Please keep it as a draft. Drafts are Medium stories that have never been published. Do not click the “Publish” button. Your draft will be saved automatically and will be kept unless you delete it, so there is no need to click anything in particular to save it.
- If you accidentally publish your story, please copy-and-paste it into a new draft and then delete the old one.
3. Submit Your Story
- Send me the link to your Medium draft post.
- If your story meets our standards, I will add you to HelloYoga as a Writer. If not, I will respond with some feedback on how to improve your story.
- You will then need to submit your story.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
1. Medium Will Notify You That Your Story Was Accepted by HelloYoga
If you don’t receive an email, please:
- Check your spam folder.
- Login to your Medium account and check your notifications.
2. I Will Proofread and Edit Your Story
- I will not change the content of your story.
- If your grammar, spelling, or formatting needs polishing, I might clean it up a little.
- HelloYoga is an online magazine, so if you don’t have any images or your images are sub-par, I’ll swap them out with attractive royalty free images and seek your approval before publishing.
3. I Will Notify You of the Publication Schedule
- We publish one story per week on a Saturday at 9:00am EST.
- I will message you beforehand with the date your story will be published.
- Stories are published on a first-in-first-out basis.
- You are free to make further edits before publishing, but please notify me if you make any major changes.
4. Your Story is Published & Shared on Social Media
- Your story will go live at 9am EST on a Saturday.
- After publishing, it will still have you as the author, your profile will be visible, you still “own” your story, and you can still make changes. However, please notify me if you make any major changes.
- We will share your story via our various social media channels. Please also do the same because it could change someone’s life for the better!
To apply, please tell me:
1. How many years have you practiced yoga regularly?
2. Please give the link to an article or story you have published.
3. Briefly, tell me about what kind of story you'd like to contribute
4. Re-reading my project brief, do you have any questions or issues?