Looking for a mobile developer with experience in cross-platform (iOS + Android) APP development. Idea is to start with a smaller MVP in order to gain experience within 1-3 months. If everything turns out fine the APP will be further extended and professionalized. For more details see below.
* APP shall provide a large collection (> 1000) of animal pictures (all already available) from Costa Rica accompanied with scientific information about each animal like scientific name, synonymous designations, habitats, etc.
* APP needs to work offline so either all images and metadata are already provided as part of the APP (probably my preferred solution since it does not require a backend hosting) or everything can be loaded into the APP after installation from a remote database.
* A comparable APP regarding similar functionality and design is Orthoptera which can be found on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/ch/app/orthoptera/id869262721?mt=8) and Play Store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.garzotto.orthoptera). Of course our APP shall not contain (only) grasshoppers but a wide range of different animals. Another difference is that we would need a hierarchical structure (taxonomic hierarchy) for browsing (instead of a purely flat structure).
* I would like to start with an MVP containing only about 40 pictures, hierarchical browsing, basic search functionality and a details page per animal containing only very basic information. Target platform for MVP: Android (without Play Store upload yet, only APK packaging). Timeframe: November 2016, the earlier the better.
* After that a lot more features/ideas exist like for instance the following:
- Defining favourites for fast lookup
- Lookup animals based on similarity to a certain species
- Lookup animals which are available within a certain range of the current geo-location
- Log personal findings including geo-location of finding, personal notes, personal pictures, etc.
- Sophisticated filtering criteria
- Learning module
- Quiz module (with social platforms integration)
* It will also be required to get some kind of content administration tool in order for a non-developer to be able to add/modify all the content (photos, metadata, etc.) which can then be packaged into future APP releases. My brother is a biologist and photographer and it will be mainly him providing all the content. With the MVP no content administration tool needs to be developed yet but a concept should exist of how this would be implemented.
* More detailed requirement descriptions are available in a feature map (https://www.featuremap.co/) which will of course be shared once we get closer to a commitment.
* Not decided yet (also depends on you) but some valid options from my perspective would be: Ionic, Xamarin, Qt, … I’m also open for other recommendations. I would however strongly prefer a large common codebase for Android and iOS instead of two completely independent native developments.
* Code and documentation exchange via private git repository on https://gitlab.com/
* High level Requirements exchange via https://www.featuremap.co/
* Progress tracking of feature items via Issue Board also on https://gitlab.com/. Alternatively via Trello.
* Testing via https://testfairy.com/ would be cool somehow however I have never tried that before. So if you have experience with that – great! :-)
* Project would start from scratch.
* You will be the only developer.
* I don’t have any practical experience with mobile app development yet so it might be necessary that you provide some mentoring to me when it comes to building, deploying, testing on my own PC (Windows + Linux) and Android (OnePlus One) device which I would certainly want to do. I do however have a SW development background (mostly C++) so I hope to be able to learn fast :-)
* What I like: agile approach, clean code, automated tests, clean (GUI) design, good communication skills (English or German), honesty, …
* Previous experience with cross-platform APP development (I'm omitting specific technologies on purpose since this is not decided yet)
* Experience with applying the Apple and Google APP development guidelines
* Experience with UI Design
* Experience with Git Version Control
* Good communication skills in either English or German
Upfront questions for applicants:
* Based on your previous experiences and the rough scope of the APP (MVP + potential future features) which technology would you recommend for the implementation? Since this development will be privately financed the costs are an important factor to consider.
* Could you give a rough effort estimate for the development of the above mentioned MVP? You don’t need to fully commit to this estimate as we will have an hourly contract but it should give a rough order of magnitude.
Looking forward to your feedback!