Open Knowledge International is a leading organisation building open source platforms and tools for open data, to drive transparency, accountability and re-use of data worldwide.
We are currently looking for talented Node.js Developers to join our team as contractors, with a commitment of anywhere from 20-40 hours a week, depending on the running projects at a given time, and the flexibility of the applicant.
- Experience with backend development in Node.js
- Experience with frontend development using modern frameworks
- Experience with version control and related tooling, preferably Git and GitHub
- A flexible, pragmatic approach to tooling, with a lack of dogmatism
- A commitment to writing clean, modular code (all our code is open, and used widely)
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Familiarity with writing specifications for features or products
- Experience writing interactive visualisations
- Knowledge of tools and processes for data wrangling
- Experience with agile development methodologies
- Familiarity with free/open source software and its processes (maintaining or contributing to current projects is a real plus)
- We’re always willing to consider applicants who have slightly less experience but who have a proven ability to learn and a desire to challenge and develop themselves.
- Based in timezones UTC-1 to +3
- Prior experience working effectively with remote (virtual) teams
- You take initiative and relish challenge, and have the ability to work in a self-directed manner in harmony with a broader team
Form of Engagement
We have a variety of projects, some of which are for just a few weeks and some of which range over 6 months or more. It may be possible to choose projects which suit you and your schedule. We can also accommodate flexible working as long as you arrange sufficient “core” time with your other collaborators on the project.
Please apply with a description of your skills, a CV, and samples of actual code. Code samples should preferably hosted online using GitHub, BitBucket or similar.