Job posting Associate Editor
Expatica is looking for an associate editor to support the editorial department that manages Expatica’s 11 country pages for expat communities in Europe. The position involves both technical and creative aspects associated with online publishing and journalism; therefore, a multi-skilled candidate who can work with computer management systems, text, images and videos is preferred.
A large portion of the job will involve maintaining the standard of content on Expatica’s online pages, from finding articles and building content partnerships, to editing and writing articles, creating videos, and selecting images so these are of a high publishing standard. The position also requires skills for selecting news and adapting content and headlines to match our target audience and be SEO friendly.
This position is ideal for a graduate journalist or writer/editor, or someone who has skills in the online media industry. Expatica’s flexible environment encourages independent development, so enthusiastic candidates will take advantage of the learning opportunity.
This position involves 80 to 128 hours per month, which amounts to a part-time schedule of 20 to 32 hours per week. Gross wages start at EUR 12.50 per hour, depending on experience and expertise. We also have some additional editorial jobs from clients, as well as in-house writing assignments, so there is potential to get some extra revenue for the right candidate.
The position will be largely independent within a team environment that involves both in-house and external employees. As such, we require a candidate who is innovative and motivated to drive their own work within the company and support other teams when needed. Organisation, accuracy, coordination, and good communication will be necessary traits. Knowledge of the expat publishing industry and ease with new technology trends is also required.
• Use content management system to enter, edit and format articles to a publishable standard
• Manage and expand content partners (publishers, bloggers, experts, news sites, etc.)
• Select and publish daily news
• Work with images and layout to enhance online visuals
• Adapt headlines, introductions and articles to be SEO effective
• Research and write articles for Expatica and its clients
• At least a Bachelor’s degree (HBO) in Journalism, Communications or other new media studies
• 4 years of extensive experience editing, writing, journalism and multimedia content creation
• Native English speaker based in the Netherlands
• Content management skills with online knowledge to increase traffic and search rank
• Ability to work fast and coordinate with colleagues from varying time zones
• Accurate, concise and engaging writing
• Eye for detail and graphic formatting skills
• High level of spelling and grammar
• Knowledge of SEO tools (like Google Analytics) and how to effectively utilise them
• Understanding of languages used in the 11 countries we cover
• Experience in a similar role and as an expat
• Technical knowledge in UX and graphic design, social media and online marketing