Setup a Windows 2012 R2 Standard server for a small company. Server 2012 R2 is already installed with remote access. A few settings have been made, but you can consider it a fresh install to do what you wish with.
=== Summary of Needs ====
- The basics for a small company server (need some recommendations)
- Very basic AD setup for about 25 users (owners, employees, admins, etc.)
- Remote Desktop Services for 1-2 RemoteApps
- AnywareAccess capability
- Configure Essentials Experience role (partially done)
- Install/setup an SSL certificate that I already bought from GoDaddy
- Setup a Synology DS415+ to accept backups from server (NAS is installed on premise but not configured)
- Create about 20-25 users accounts from a list
- Determine and discuss if there is any value in setting up a second server a “plan b” in case we have a hardware failure that we can move users over to in an hour or two after a major problem on the main server.
Finally, I would like to watch and learn while the server is setup so budget in extra time for questions.
===== Management or Group Policy Features needed =====
We don’t need a very complicated setup with AD and policies. We could use a bit of guidance here. In general, we want to use it for:
• the ability to log onto other PCs in the office like in conference rooms
• manage passwords (and policy on passwords)
• Prevent/allow access to 2-3 shared folders for employees
• Allow logging into Quickbooks
Nice to Have (need guidance here):
1. Auto map public “Shared Drive” folder to S: on client machines
2. Auto map a user’s personal (private) folder on the server to Z: (new feature)
3. Add shortcuts for Quickbooks to their taskbar
4. Printers? Is this a possibility to have them automatically installed?
===== Company Background and IT State =====
We are a Small Business doing Audio Visual design and installation with about 25 employees. Most are in Scottsdale, AZ, but we have about 5 people in a Tucson office, 4 in Albuquerque office, 4 in Salt Lake City. We all use Logmein Hamachi VPN to access our Shared Drive (want to retire this), and RemoteApp to run key programs from the remote offices or home. All of our machines are running Pro versions of Windows 7, 8 or 10. We have no Macs.
We are using Google Apps for Business right now for email so no need for Exchange.
**Our Current Server’s Roles**
Currently, we have one older server, a Dell T110 running Windows 2008 Foundation (Name: DVN-SERVER2) in our Scottsdale Office. We’re maxed out with 15 users (actually a couple over) and have about 7 RDS CALs. Each employee has a user name and password on the server. We do not have a domain or AD setup.
This server currently does the following:
1. Hosts Quickbooks 16 Enterprise via RemoteApp
2. Hosts our “Share Drive” which is just a shared folder, users have access based on their username/password on the server
3. Hosts a videoconferencing product called SMART Bridgit
4. Some software for door access and security.
Currently, We have several levels of backup on the current server:
1. Macrium Reflect v5 Pro – Images the entire server C: at noon and the evening
2. Windows backup also images regularly just incase Macrium had an error
3. CrashPlan Pro Unlimited Online backup – continuous online backup of data folders (Quickbooks, Shared Drive, D-Tools Data)
4. We now have a Synology DS415+ with 4x 3TB drives in it ready to be setup for backups.
==== New Server ====
We’ve already purchased a new server and I installed Server 2012 R2 on it. It’s a Dell T110 II with dual Samsung 840 Pro SSDs (RAID 1) C: drive, 400GB Intel 750 SSD PCIe (for programs D: drive), 1TB internal HDD for backup/junk, 16GB RAM, Quad-core Xeon. It has TeamViewer Installed.
==== Other Needs ====
1. I, Brandon, would like to be the first line of defense, but if I am not available or don’t have the time or skill, I would like a number that our employees can call for remote support. Also might have onsite support needed, say, if our server blows up and I’m out of town.
2. I for our IT person to help develop a written “disaster plan” so I can train at least one or two other people how to do a bare metal restore if a hard drive dies or is corrupted or we have to move to another server.