We are an education startup focused in teaching programming and game development, and we are currently building a cross-platform mobile app with Ionic (version 1) where users can take programming lessons on their phones.
This app was funded through a Kickstarter campaign. You can learn about the long-term vision here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pablofarias/learn-to-make-games-apps-and-websites-on-your-phon/ and this is a screencast of what we currently have: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-MyMFWGSnI
We are looking for a developer with experience in Angular, Ionic and Node.js API's (using Express and Mongoose). You'll be working alongside the startup founder who will be coding as well and managing the project. We are looking for someone who can do around 10 hours a week or more. It's an estimated 30 hour left of work for our first version (0.1). After that, we'll stop for a couple of weeks as we collect user feedback, then resume with more features.
We already have a basic implementation of the app and backend, and are aiming to a first iteration with the following:
- Basic user signup/login flow
- User enrollment in a course
- User takes course lessons, can fail or pass
- Save/load user progress in the cloud
- Keep track of what lessons the user has completed
- Improvements to the backend
The backend of the app is built with the MEAN stack. It consists on a lesson/course editor tool that uses Angular and Bootstrap, and Express API's that are used both by the lesson creation tool and by the app itself.
Aspects we'll need your help with:
- Polishing the app by fixing small bugs, improving style, add animations and effects. A lot of small issues to fix.
- Improving performance of the Ionic app.
- Help with implementing authentication, user signup flow, etc
- Keeping track of student progress and sync with the backend
- Creating and maintaining API's
- Improving the lesson creator tool, built with the MEAN stack and Bootstrap.
What's important to us:
-This project will aim to improve the career prospects of a lot of people, and that is something you need to keep in mind when working on it.
-We are looking for a skilled developer, smart and reliable, who we can have as a long-term partner for this and future projects.
-Follow our communication workflow guide. We use Trello and Github for task management.
-Work Diary usage only. We won't micromanage but we do take a careful look at it after some bad experiences in Upwork.
-Reliability and good communication are key. If you can't make a deadline, you are stuck or don't understand a task, let us know and we'll sort it out.
-Strong hold of Angular (1.x), Ionic (1.x) and Node / Mongoose / Express. Some experience with all of those technologies is a non-negotiable requirement.
-Git and Github experience is a must.
-As the Upwork contract states, we'll own all intellectual property created as part of this job.
-Must sign NDA