Looking for an experience website developer and SEO expert to begin a
DOMAIN NAME CHANGE AND MIGRATION. We are looking for an individual/company who will follow all the proper procedures and guidelines to achieve this goal while maintaining/improving our SEO rankings in Google. These are some of the rules to follow:
1) Back Up our Site – Totally & Completely.
Have a complete, working backup of our files and database, by using a plugin like BackUpWordPress or Backup Buddy to back up our site and help us to migrate to the new domain.
2) Clean Up our New Domain (if needed)
We want to make sure that our new domain it’s not carrying forward any old penalties.
3) Move Content to the New Domain (Duplicating or Manually)
Using a WordPress plugin like Duplicator simplifies the moving process or All-in-One WP Migration to automate the entire process. We understand that many SEO experts recommend moving only a portion of the site – for instance, a subdomain – so we can test how the change will impact the search rankings, but we will accept suggestions based on the experience of the person who will do the job.
4) 301 REDIRECT
After moving the content to the new domain, we need to make sure to 301 redirect those pages from the old domain to the new one in order to ensure Google knows where to find your new content.
5) Permanently Redirect Old Pages
We don't want to risk losing visitors and SEO juice to dead ends.
The individual we need for this project needs to make sure Google and our visitors are sent to the new domain, so we’ll need to set up server-side 301 redirects in our .htaccess file. This small piece of code indicates that we have made a permanent move to the new domain and that all traffic – direct and search – should be forwarded to the new URLs.
The importance of this step cannot be overstated. Properly setting up 301 redirects is the key to maintaining our search rankings.
● Step #1 - redirect old pages.
● Step #2 – add to Google Analytics and Webmaster Tools (Search Console).
● Step #3 – update your keyword tracking.
● Step #4 – fill out the change of address form in Webmaster Tools.
● Step #5 – submit your new sitemap.
6) Officially tell Google we’ve Moved