We are looking for advice on scaling and optimising our app on Heroku. We have found that a number of API call times have increased as we scale and are looking for help to identify any bottlenecks in our app.
Our initial ideas on the bottlenecks:
- Heroku's load balancing is random rather than dynamic
- One of our API calls processes a reasonable amount data which could be overloading the database, causing a general slowdown of the app
- Some of our db table sizes are relatively large +5m rows, and although we have indexed for expensive queries, there may be further optimisation required
- Experience with Heroku
- Experience with Postgres databases
- Experience debugging database issues
- Experience using New Relic APM as a debugging tool
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with Unicorn server
- Experience with background workers (e.g. redis with Sidekiq)
The initial project will be scoped to trying to optimise the current app and bottlenecks,...