Shmoop ( www.shmoop.com ) is a digital curriculum company that makes learning, teaching, and test prep materials that are—dare we say it—awesome, thrilling, spectacular, magnificent, unforgettable, and...smart. Really smart.
To help carry out Shmoop’s (mostly benign) plans for digital curriculum world domination, we’re looking for talented Chinese Language Curriculum Writers to write lesson plans for introductory high school courses. This is a PAID, part-time position, and you'll be paid per completed project. Our offices are located in Mountain View, California, but you can work from wherever you want (whenever you want, and also wearing whatever you want).
We're looking for the perfect combination of a linguist nerd, pop culture expert, and stand-up comedian. If you think you fit the bill, send us your wittiest cover letter and resume; we’ll be waiting with bated breath. If we like what we see, a topic-specific writing sample will be required. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
As a curriculum writer, you'll
- write engaging lessons—including vocab and grammar-based readings, conversation scripts, and activities—for online publication.
- create user-friendly answer keys to accompany your lessons.
- plan with a collaborative curriculum map and national foreign language standards.
- use a student-friendly, teacher-friendly, and Shmoopy writing voice and style.
The ideal candidate should have
- experience teaching Mandarin Chinese.
- familiarity with writing for non-academic audiences and ability to express concepts in an approachable way.
- an eye for detail, a knack for organization, and a love of making deadlines.
- competency in Microsoft Word.