This documentary film project captures personal histories—video interviews in a number of languages that must be translated with attention to clarity of meaning, as well as emotional feeling. This project is primarily intended for English-speaking markets.
The video interviews for this Swedish-to-English translation assignment were conducted in Stockholm, in Swedish, and have already been transcribed and translated...so this assignment is the 2nd pass at the translation. Details:
- 7 video interviews, all available as downloaded Quicktime files
- Total video duration: approximately 2:22:00. Videos can be viewed here: https://ql.mediasilo.com/#ql/57752e46e4b022d4986c515d
- Do NOT concern yourself with the video file for “Tess Hendricks,” since this interview was conducted in English.
- This assignment is a review of the 1st pass translation, provided as a Microsoft Word doc (Stockholm_roughcut translation.docx). This file is attached for your reference.
- In evaluating the 1st pass, it is my impression that there are many issues to be addressed: overly-generalized word selection, awkward phrasing, failure to be colloquial, verb tense issues, incomprehensible translation, Korean words that need to be confirmed or spelled phonetically, English words that need to be confirmed, Dutch names/places that need to be confirmed, etc. Sometimes I have added a word with a (?) to indicate that I have added my own guess.
- The videos you will be using were edited based on a time-coded 1st pass translation. Our editor does not speak Swedish, and may have inadvertently left in word(s) or a phrase that were not supposed to be included. Please make me aware (a highlighted note on the translation will do) of any word(s)/phrases that were NOT on the 1st pass translation that could have EASILY been cut out (meaning at least a short break exists in the audio track allowing an edit point). This should NOT be a difficult request…if it comes up, it will be VERY noticeable. They'll be words that simply don't show up in the edited transcript you're revising. I doubt you'll come across many, if any of these.
Your deliverables will be:
- A Word doc containing your revised translation of all 7 interviews...a translation that is a smooth, cleaned up, and colloquial...appropriate for captioning. When we start messaging, I will send an example Word doc (Copenhagen_Final Translation_Cleaned Up.docx), as it was created for the Danish interviews.
- Another Word doc containing the same translation of all 7 interviews, but this time appended with timecodes from the Quicktime files. It will be best if you have experience with working with timestamping software, such as Aegisub, or others. I have no preference as to what tool you use. When we start messaging, I will send a sample Word doc (Copenhagen_Final Translation with Time Code.docx), as it was created for the Danish interviews.
- Review proposals
- Possible Skype interviews with no more than 2-3 finalists and to answer freelancer questions.
- 2 week delivery deadline
- I will be available by email or Skype to answer any further questions throughout the work period.