Our site is very slow and underperforming. We need someone to help us fix speed and performance.
- Platform: WordPress with a premium job board theme
- Hosting: Siteground shared hosting (GrowBig) - if this is a massive issues we can look at upgrading to cloud hosting
- SSL active (code customization done as theme was not automatically fit to support SSL)
- Child theme active (all customizations have been done and need to be done in child)
Issues we identified:
1. First time Byte above 3s (sometimes 5s)
2. Site template PHP files re-generating pages (calling php files instead of serving cached pages)
3. Improper use/combination of CSS/JS minimisers via theme/plug-ins.
In a waterfall chart in www.webpagetest.org we can clearly see that most time (after the high First time Byte) are JS queries
- Tried Autoptimize, MBcombine, Better Minify – they break the site (there might be a question of how you set them up as well)
- WP Fastest cache slows the site down (performed test with and without – with is up to 15s load time); W3 Total cache was not cacheing correctly on our site (again, might be a question of setup)
- currently running Siteground WP SuperCacher and very recently the Wordfence Falcon Engine that came with Wordfence security plug-in.
4. Iffy SSL redirections – our theme was not optimized for SSL, so a developer coded a force load through SSL which now seem the cause issues
5. Despite having image optimization plug-in in place on www.webpagetest.org waterfall images still take a long time to load.
Explaining the above are some observations the hosting provider made regarding our site:
- CPU consumption is generated by MySQL queries and scripts that load slowly
- Index.php not optimized and loading in +5s at times
- admin-ajax.php not optimized and executing too many scripts (heartbeat controlled to 60s through Heartbeat control plugin)
- .htaccess forced redirection
We are looking for help and possibly a longer term relationship with a skilled developer.
Please let us know your thoughts and actions proposed along with a quote.