InvestmentZen is a personal finance site that shares inspirational stories and actionable insights from people who have found a way to make money work for them, so you can do the same. We also gather objective data on a wide variety of financial products and present them with the utmost editorial objectivity (unlike other sites that only promote the products with the highest commissions) so you can choose what works best for your unique situation.
We’re aggressively building out new content, including a very special mortgage calculator that shows people the opportunity cost of buying a more expensive house than they should (it’s usually deep in the 6 figures!) as well as an ultimate mortgage guide that answers any and all questions you may have about how a mortgage works and how to pick the best one for you, all while keeping the content light and entertaining instead of being a total snooze inducer.
As a result, we're looking for a fully remote UX designer with experience building mobile responsive web interfaces to help us design these tools.
What does the UX Designer do?
The role of the UX Designer is to figure out how to communicate potentially confusing, boring, and complicated personal finance content in a delightful, simple, and captivating way that exudes professionalism without the gravitas usually associated with it.
This involves understanding the personal finance concepts, understanding what an average person would know about the concept, and conveying the information that they need in an intuitive and attractive presentational style.
You’ll then propose various designs and layouts through mockups, iterate on user feedback, and then finalize it in a design through Sketch or other similar tools.
The UX designer plays the most pivotal role in this because it is at your hands that this content gets organized in a way to make as many people understand and enjoy learning about personal finance as possible.
The ideal candidate for this position should have an entrepreneurial mindset and be ready to take on and/or initiate new projects when he or she sees the need.
Some of the tasks in the pipeline include:
- Laying out a complicated mortgage calculator to allow people to understand the (extremely large!) impact of buying a more expensive house.
- Taking a comprehensive mortgage guide and organizing and designing it to be approachable, searchable, and engaging (similar to https://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo)
- Reviewing and giving comparison pages for real estate crowdfunding sites, credit cards, etc.
- Designing a review system to incentivize people to contribute their experiences with various financial products so that other people can learn from their experience.
You’ll be working directly with a cofounder with 10+ years of full stack software engineering experience on both Wall Street (Lime Brokerage) and Silicon Valley (OkCupidLabs), so you don’t need to be concerned about having a pointy haired boss - he’s well versed on the technical side of things while still being very open to new suggestions.
What’s it like to work on the InvestmentZen team?
InvestmentZen is a fully remote company - in fact, one of the cofounders is in Toronto while the other is in Austin.
Since we’re literally all over the map, communication using Slack, Google Apps, Trello, and other tools is key for us. We encourage regular communication throughout the day on Slack and hold standup meetings on MWF to maintain a pulse of what’s going on and to make sure that there’s nothing blocking you from getting things done.
In our small group, each team member uses highly specialized skills while working on a variety of projects. We enjoy giving our team members autonomy to do the work that interests them. We’re focused on the output of each team member, not putting in long hours.
Above all, we’re proud to work on solving meaningful problems and positively impacting lives daily.
What are the required qualifications?
- 2+ years experience with mobile responsive web design and common design patterns.
- Familiarity with personal finance topics, particularly mortgages (you should be a homeowner who has gone through the entire mortgage application process or be very interested in learning quickly).
- Experience working with front end web developers.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong remote communication and writing skills.
- Solid entrepreneurial mindset, no excuses / get it done attitude.
- At least 10-20 hours of availability each week.
- Familiarity with Sketch and Zeplin (or similar tools) to convey your designs to front end engineers for implementation.
When applying, please link to your portfolio, a little bit about why you think you'd be a good fit for the position, and mention what experience you have with US mortgages. We will only respond to applications with all three pieces of information. Looking forward to hearing from you!