(The job description in word file can be found in attached document.) -For easier viewing.
Introduction and scope:
Our start-up is in the midst of developing a social media app that is able to bring social live streaming experience to our users. We are currently focused on native mobile apps, particularly iOS and Android.
The clear cut explanation of what we are building is, Periscope live streaming technology + Instagram. We wish to achieve these through expert knowledge of mobile development and specific implementation of various SDKs/Libraries that we have identified.
Therefore, candidates should have broad knowledge in their expertise, and are able to contribute through advice and assistance based on the selected SDKs/Libraries or provide other better solutions.
We have clearly defined what we need to build through detailed wireframes/flowcharts/mockups and at the same time we are already working on the project and would need more developers with specific skill sets to accelerate the development.
Skills and expertise required for hire:
Languages: (Objective-C, Java, SQL)
Platforms: (Native iOS and Android)
Tools: (Amazon Web Services, JW Player, Wowza Media Services, Pubnub, Algolia, Paypal, Facebook SDK, Google Contacts API, Tapjoy)
Misc: (In-app purchases, Push notifications, Video encoding, Messaging)
The whole timeline of this project from start to finish (which includes testing and publishing to the app stores) will take 3 months by our estimates.
Candidates can apply to work on part of the project that they are specialised in and are able to complete with efficiency and time frame. (Example: Working on iOS development itself / working on back end/ working on the whole streaming process itself. etc)
Due to the complexity of the project, successful candidates are expected to update work progress regularly (e.x once a day) through Skype/Slack to ensure our objectives are properly aligned.
1) Candidates have demonstrated the ability to understand project needs through this description and have provided relevant solutions (through screening questions added below) when applying for this project.
2) Selected candidates will be interviewed through a short Skype meeting (10-20 minutes) to determine the level of understanding of the project and whether the required skill sets are in place through QnA.
3) Once shortlisted, wireframes will be sent and further discussion of project begins. Advice of implementation and questions regarding the project should be raised. After discussion, candidates must be able to provide detailed time frames/milestones according to their needs and proficiency to complete the project.
4) Timeframes and milestones will be up for further evaluation and once confirmed, we are good to go!
Please note that the hiring process is not immediate and requires time for internal discussion + selection. Candidates must specify a preferred method of contact if they are selected for the job (Ex: e-mail/skype/phone call).
When applying for this project, Please specify which part of the job you would like to work on and why you are able to complete them, by providing relevant experience in past projects or evidences that you have the ability to complete the job. Candidates must apply with the keyword ‘livestreamingdoublecheck’ in order to prove that description has been read and understood in full.
Applicants will be accessed based on these criteria:
1) Broad knowledge of required skill sets.
Ability to provide meaningful suggestions and recommendations. Past projects that show high level of expertise in implementing them.
2) Demonstrates interests and passion to the project.
Willingness to work over the hours to research for the best solutions. Are able to think of the project as their own and have the initiative to do things more than required.
3) Traits that show candidate is a good team member and good communicator.
We are looking for long term relationships and are willing to invite repeat successful candidates onboard as team members.
4) Good overall working attitude
Candidates must be responsible / well mannered / patient and respectful towards everyone on the team.
Question (if you are applying for working on live streaming feature):
1) Taking Periscope (everyone can become a broadcaster) for example, how would you integrate the whole the structure/process of the live streaming app which has a many inputs to many outputs system. (Example: Build an Encoder to encode RAW video into H.264/AAC format… and send it through Wowza servers via RTMP/RTSP… retrieve links and play by JW player.)
2) Do a rough calculation/estimate on server costs (AWS) per user. (Example: Taking Periscope as reference, 40 years of videos are being watched everyday, 40 years of video is equivalent to y server costs and there are currently x number amount of users. Therefore, costs per user is y divided by x.)