Function over form.
Work well on all devices/browsers, especially mobile.
Readable, enjoyable, shareable, easy to consume (please keep in mind this is a news site).
Better advertising/grow digital revenue and subscriptions
1. Security updates, fix errors, https
2. Integration among website, CRM, and accounting.
Options on website: opinion (free) all online access ($3.50/month or $39/year) print only ($3.50/month or $39/year) print and online ($4/month or $46/year) Support subscriber ($92 per year).
Gift subscription option (paid by person other than user/shipping address).
PLEASE NOTE: the current ubercart set charges an extra $4 postage on one-year print subscriptions ($0.75 per month for monthly) mailed outside Albany County. That needs to stay.
After selecting option: webform for personal details, name, address, email, phone, etc.
Creates contact in CRM and invoice in accounting. Users should be able to change their contact info. Each recurring charge creates new invoice under the SAME ACCOUNT (might require matching up customer id number or unique username).
Email marketing: Mailchimp
3. Metered paywall. See first-click free module. Allow access to premium articles to anyone for one article per week. Then they should get the subscribe message that is there now.
4. Optimize articles for social (so Facebook pulls photos and text well)
5. Set up RSS feeds for each category (news, community news, obituaries, sports)
6. Ad positions, should show up within lists of articles, and between articles (when inside of an article, scrolling should scroll through open articles, see quartz.com, with ads 970x250 or 320x100 in between)
7. Floating menu (see atlantic.com, autoweek.com, nytimes.com). With small space for logo (autoweek.com), then hamburger (nytimes.com) menu, space for ad 320x50 in middle, then social buttons on right (Facebook, twitter, email, print).
- Right now, the menu appears in the middle of the page upon scrolling. Maybe a glitch or bug with floating block module.
8. Media management:
We need to be able to insert images easily. Should be 1. Upload photo. 2. paste in cutline/caption text. 3. Insert photo/cutline inline. Should be resizable. (Right now, cutline is separate from image).
Also, images now appear low res. How can we have sharper, higher res images?