Speechpad is looking for an ambitious and passionate engineer experienced in SaltStack, Python, and DevOps automation, with additional experience administering MySQL databases.
This is an ongoing, multidisciplinary position. Candidates will be evaluated according to the criteria below. Similarly, hired contractors will be rated based on ability to follow through with these responsibilities. Only serious candidates please.
We are pretty flexible with work schedule, but do require 4-5 hours overlap with the normal US Eastern workday (8:30AM - 5:30PM GMT-4).
You should be proficient in the following minimum DevOps Responsibilities:
- Expand on and maintain our Salt scripts to provision multiple applications/nodes across Amazon EC2 instances.
- Configuring and optimizing of PHP/Apache setups on Ubuntu servers.
- Zabbix monitoring
- Recommend and implement proper security practices and audits.
- Assist development teams with Continuous Integration architecture and processes (build servers, git workflows, GitLab CI, etc.)
Additionally, you should be comfortable with the following minimum DBA Responsibilities:
- Amazon RDS MySQL performance tuning, including recommending query optimizations and schema changes (with respect to performance).
- Set up DB monitoring and inspection tools in order to preemptively find and fix problems
- Respond to alarms and urgent issues in a timely fashion.
- Recommend and assist in implementing advanced performance and archival practices (such as sharding, archiving, aggregating data summaries, etc.)
- Administer replication and an appropriate backup / disaster recovery strategy.
We highly value:
- Near fluency in written English communication. Ability to communicate via verbal English (Skype calls).
- Passionate, detail-oriented individuals.
- A deep understanding of System and Database concepts (versus experience with the latest trends).
- Efficient, logical, legible and well-organized code and documentation.
- An eagerness to learn and adapt.
- Works well in a distributed team environment
Speechpad is a technology-driven Silicon Valley company specializing in Crowdsourcing, video processing, transcription, and captioning. Some exciting clients include major players in the online video market, such as Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Yahoo, and more.