I work in real estate. Keeping up on what apartment buildings are renting for is part of my job. I would like someone to develop something that uses Craigslist.org's RSS service to dump the information into a database that is constantly updated. The information will be used to track rents for individual properties as well as specific zip codes, neighborhoods and markets. I'd like the ability to capture, the address, the type of unit (Studio, 1 bed/1 bath, 2 bed/ 1 bath, etc.) the square footage, rent amount and any other data the can be captured by an automated system. I'd like the ability to export the data into excel and manipulate it to generate reports and information to show my perspective and core clients.
Other features that would be good (depending on time and cost of development):
• Photos from the ads
• The body of the ad with further information (including contact information if it's present. I know you have to click on numbers, so I don't know if it's possible to capture the phone number in the ad.)
• Having the property address (if listed) reference an address and add in the other data that corresponds to the address (City, Zip Code, possibly the neighborhood, etc.)
• Adding a column with a formula that calculates the rent/square foot.
• The ability to select a number of rent comps and to generate reports with company branding.
• Possibly display rent comparable on a map for my clients with their address.
I have my own domain from which the data can be dumped into, or it can be something that can be used on a local machine. I'm not sure how the best way to do this is, but I'd like to do it as I spend way too much time researching rental information when I know there is a better way to accumulate the data.
If successful, then there will be the opportunity to create a similar system for other apartment rental sites (if possible.) Also, I’d like the same thing done in the future with properties that have sold, but getting rental information is the priority as of right now.