NK News (NK Consulting Inc) seeks a full-time Translator-Journalist to work on the forthcoming NK News Korean language service.
Working under the Korean service Chief Editor, the Journalist-Translator will be responsible for the daily translation and optimization (to appropriate local news copy standards) of selected news and feature articles.
Primary duties will include the translation and optimization of contents from an editorial calendar of English-language news and feature content, writing new stories specifically for the Korean service, managing Korean service daily newsletter output, and assisting the Chief Editor with other duties.
A strong news sense, creative approach to the topic, demonstrable translation / journalistic experience, understanding of North Korea, and proven ability to work independently are all critical skills for this role.
NK News is the leading global provider of news and analysis on the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK / North Korea). Through our team of in-house analysts and journalists we deliver breaking news and detailed analysis to individuals and institutions around the world. Our goal is to help our clients better understand the dynamics of the DPRK, informing their policy, economic, and commercial decisions.
NK News is a young and growing company. We are currently looking for energetic and success-driven individuals to join our team. Headquartered in the U.S, we are looking for a remote or South Korea-based individual to help with this role.
Despite being one of the world’s most challenging news environments, we break news and produce in-depth features, analysis and data on the DPRK. We differentiate ourselves from the competition because we are funded by our subscribers, which allows us to keep our reporting free of political bias or agenda.
Full-time Translator Journalist Responsibilities:
- Producing high-quality translations of news stories and feature articles about N.Korea, daily
- Production of daily Korean-language news clippings email for local newsletter subscribers
- In translation down-time, writing unique news stories / features about North Korea for the Korean service
- Assisting Chief editor with other assigned duties
- Minimum one to two years experience in digital or print journalism
- Native / Fluent understanding of English
- Native / Fluent understanding of Korean
- Ability to handle the pressure of meeting tight deadlines
- Experience using software including Google Docs, Google Earth, Photoshop, and Video editing software
- Collaborative team player with the confidence and integrity to earn people’s confidence, internally and externally, and put them at ease
- Understanding of differing requirements of users within fields of government, academia, think-tank, media, business sectors
The contract is for a one-year term and is renewable on successful completion of first-year of Korean service.
Commensurate with experience
Desired start date: