Background and description of the work
The European Trade Union Institute (ETUI) is developing two online courses for union representatives and members across Europe. Each course has a course leader who has experience of presenting the course face-to-face, and also has a script for how the course activities will work online, including short videos, screencasts and audio lessons, quizzes, discussions and collaborative activities.
ETUI wishes to contract for production help with each course, or both courses together. Successful contractors will be asked to produce small-scale audiovisual assets in support of the course and to enable/ train ETUI course developers to generate their own material. This contract would suit small production companies or independent professionals with experience of producing audiovisual media for online use.
To support this development, the contractor will supply the following services:
- Support and coach course leaders in producing media assets e.g. helping with
+ microphone and recording set-up to ensure high quality audio
+ camera set-up to ensure sufficiently high quality video
+ techniques for reading from cue texts, addressing the camera
+ design of slides, graphs etc for maximum readability
+ management of slide transitions in screencasts
- Maintain metadata and transcripts of audio/video content to help with provision of multilingual versions
- Ensuring recordings are available in the correct file formats
- Organising transfer of all digital files to the learning platform.
The requirements include:
- Ability to put course leaders and others at their ease to get their best performances recorded in audio and video.
- Ability to provide jargon-free support to ensure performers can optimise microphone and camera settings/set-up even when producer is not physically present.
- Experience of making trade-offs between media quality and cost, and judgement to recognise which aspects of quality must not be compromised.
- Experience of software for video, audio, screencast capture, and for storing, converting and sharing large files online.
- Ability to read and respond to specifications in English is essential, as is fluency in either English or French. Ability to speak English and French is desirable.
- Willingness to travel to the course leaders’ places of work (in Brussels), or some alternative mutually agreeable venue that offers an environment with good soundproofing and/or low likelihood of interruptions.
- A suitably powerful computer and fast broadband connection to make conversion and upload tasks efficient.
The work is expected to involve 70 hours or more work for each course, spread over a few months.
Note: ETUI has also advertised this posting on its Call for Tenders web page at https://www.etui.org/About-Etui/Call-for-tenders