I am looking for an experienced designer to collaborate with for the development of a complete brand identity for my new startup. We are ‘Gulliver & Sons’, a boutique men’s beardcare brand. Our products are handmade by my family and me and the initial range includes beard oils, beard balms and moustache wax. We intend to branch out into a range of beard soaps and haircare products in due course.
I’d like the brand to draw inspiration from older or vintage brands. The name was selected to suggest an established family-orientated brand. You should think of old apothecaries. We use all natural ingredients in the preparation of our product range. These products sit firmly in the hipster sphere and I’m happy to draw inspiration from this space.
I’ve previously arranged for a draft logo to be worked up. The attached logo should provide a good basis for my initial thoughts but I’m open to any new design suggestions on this. Below is a link to a Pinterest Board with a collection of designs that I have taken inspiration from thus far. I’ve also included a sample label design that I pulled together to help gather my thoughts.
Currently there are 3 scents in the range and I like the idea of differentiating between by a name, Troubador, Bohemian and Vagabond but also with a distinct colour included in the label design i.e. burgundy, mustard and dark green.
Gulliver is a subtle reference to the fictional giant character in the Jonathan Swift book, Gulliver’s Travels. It is currently depicted in the logo as the larger of the trees surrounded by a number of smaller ones. I’d like to maintain such a subtle reference in the logo design too as well as elsewhere throughout the brand identity. It doesn’t have to be a tree however.
Full Brand identity to include:
• Logo (for online and print use)
• Label design – I’d like to use a similar label for each line of the range so these should be consistent. Initially the labels will be affixed to small glass boston round bottles for the oils and small round metal tins for the balms.
• Graphics for use on social media platforms – Facebook banner and profile, twitter banner and profile etc.
• Graphics for use on website – logo display, banner images with logo overlayed etc.
• Stationary – document letterheads will be required for invoices, sales material etc
• Business card
**Who are you?**
The ideal candidate will be an experienced designer with success in developing brand identities for small niche brands. Creativity and attention to detail will be key. I’m looking for someone who can really add value to the design process rather than just Your portfolio should be full of such designs and I will make my selection primarily based on your past work and/or sample designs you provide.
Candidates with experience in developing e-commerce sites from templates, such as via squarespace, will also be considered for a separate project to build out the associated website.
I will select a shortlist of potential candidates, based on your submissions and portfolio, to interview over the coming days. I intend to complete the selection process by Tuesday 25th October. As part of this interview process I will want you to provide me with:
• Design concepts – initial drafts will suffice. I don’t expect anything elaborate at this point.
• Breakdown of costs
• Project plan – how long you see this taking and completion dates for each element
I have outlined an approximate budget for this project but am open to amending this for the right partner and clear project plan. We can rework this as an hourly fee if that is preferable.