6 months ago, we hired a custom furniture designer-manufacturer to create hybrid custom seating and storage for our tiny green office-classroom, designed after a boutique hotel in our company's namesake city Vernazza, a fishing village on the Italian Riviera.
Last week, the CEO of the custom furniture design firm said that the first prototype failed structurally. The MDF no-VOC pressed wood sagged when one 180-lb person sat on only 1 of 2 seats. His team had designed, not engineered.
Designer is claiming the need to switch from MDF to solid hard wood ... at 3 times the cost.
We'd like the lightest weight, strongest bench to support full lateral filing cabinet storage (calculate cabinet full of dense copier paper) + two 350-lb seated guests.
We need an industrial design engineer to re-engineer and fix the manufacturer's design, using the existing (donated Wilsonart Tan Echo laminate) materials and design.
The intent of the six two-seater benches:
- surpass internationally accepted design & engineering standards for office seating (chairs) and lateral filing cabinets (storage) re: ergonomics, fire safety, ruggedness, impact on light in space, form (texture, comfort, intrigue, etc.)
- to be used daily by up to six sustainable real estate consultants for hidden, secure (lockable) lateral filing & other storage
- to be used 3-6 times monthly as a classroom seating for 2 to 8-hour ECO [BOOT CAMP], GREEN [BOOT CAMP] and SOLAR [BOOT CAMP] courses for real estate executives and heads of households
- tiny green office-classroom is 14' wide x 28' long
- appeal to well-traveled real estate executives, but speak elegant (sophisticated) simplicity (frugality)
- lockable rollers suitable for linoleum floors
- retractable (hidden) seat backs that may feature Hawaiian seat back cushions since we've been doing ENERGY STAR benchmarking and certification of commercial buildings in Hawaii
- large single bench seat cushion (not 2 seat cushions as shown in materials takeoff)
seat cushion: 23.1" - wide x 20.0" - deep x 1.88" thick
seat back: 16.3" wide x 13.9" high x 1.88" - thick (?)