The media is a powerful agent in shaping our understanding of heroism. In the selection of stories, the angle taken, the references to historic events or persons and the choice of language, media agents may draw on time honoured notions of heroism. In doing so, they reinforce commonly held values and beliefs or they may present more marginal views that challenge the dominant ideas held in our culture.
You are to write a NEWSPAPER FEATURE ARTICLE (600 – 1000 words) in which you explore the representation of heroes and heroism in Australian culture. You will need to consider:
• The media’s representation of heroism
• The way heroism is incorporated into the Australian identity and history
• The role of heroism in popular culture
It is important that you provide specific examples to support your analysis. You may wish to focus your discussion primarily on one person or situation. Alternatively, you may incorporate references to a broad range of examples.
This is a persuasive/reflective genre so it is important that your discussion contains a clear central argument. Your argument could relate to:
• the appropriateness of the portrayal of heroism
• what the portrayal of heroism reveals about society
• whether a particular individual should be considered a hero
i will provide a featured article from the past years when we contact and i will need you to write it in a very short time please!