Job Title: Create Desktop Utility that can scrape data from plain text file (which shows values in a vertical format) into a pre-defined database format (output to csv, comma delimited text, tab delimited text, dbase IV or older)
product provided will :
1) be a standalone utility able to run on a Windows XP machine
2) be able to convert from the text format supplied example to a csv, comma delimited, tab delimited or dbf file*
3) be able to place the data into the correct fields as noted in the examples
*Note that the utility does not need to be able to export to all of the formats listed (though that would be a bonus); but to at least one of the defined formats. Dbase (IV or older - we are antiquated!) is the preferred output format, as this will easily import directly into our masterfile.
Ideally, product will also have a simple GUI that will:
1) allow user to input details about the source file to be converted (the txt file and it's location on the local machine)
2) allow user to input details about the desired output file (the txt, csv, dbf file and the location to drop it)
If the ideal GUI is not possible, Freelancer will provide other options/suggestions for client to review
You are welcome to ask any questions along the way/send examples/express issues/get clarification etc etc. We endeavor to have a lasting, mutually beneficial relationship and hope that communication between us will be successful!
Attached is an example of the text file and the resulting database, to guide you in placing the correct information in the correct fields.
If output to dbf is the end result of your product, the field names in the example must match exactly.
Please take care to consider that some blank lines are values (for example, the blank line in the first record that follows "5601 Darby Close" would be a secondary address, if one existed (such as "Apartment 209" for example); yet the blank line between "N" and "1403000045" is NOT a value and rather a line break of sorts/record break point.
Please note that the utility is meant to be used many times (not ONLY to compile this one text doc), on many text files that are in the same layout as this one, from the same source, but containing different records. So this NOT a data entry job, and rather a job to write a a small software program.