Create an MSI installer package using WiX took kit that encapsulates following sequence:
1. Make sure Oracle VirtualBox is present on the machine in %programfiles%\Oracle\VirtualBox folder, otherwise do following
i- ask the user to provide the path of VirtualBox installation
ii- Show error message asking user to install VirtualBox, provide a download link to Oracle VirtualBox website.
The environment variable VBox_Install_Path is defined when VirtualBox is installed on a machine.
2. Import the VM using the DOS command "%VBox_Install_Path%\VBoxManage.exe import".
We will provide you the .ova file which will be imported.
3. Run DOS command %VBox_Install_Path%\VBoxManage.exe showvminfo > vminfo.txt".
4. Parse the file vminfo.txt and extract the UUID through custom logic (C++ .dll or anything else you're comfortable with). Put mangoes at the start of you job please, making sure you read the description and understand it.
5. Create a shortcut on desktop, and program files on with a specific icon. This icon will fire the DOS command %VBox_Install_Path%\VBoxManage.exe startvm --uuid
Whereas the --uuid parameter is the value extracted earlier through custom logic.
I believe all of these steps can be performed by putting DOS commands in .bat file, but the ultimate decision is up to the engineer finally hired.