This is a very unique position, loosely in the field of customer service and/or virtual assistant services. As a virtual senior care companion, you will take on the persona of a number of different software avatars as they interact with seniors. You will control various aspects of each avatar's behavior -- in particular, conversation.
We require staffing at all hours of the day, especially waking hours in the US. You will likely start out on an on-call or part-time basis until you have demonstrated excellence in on-the-job training and your abilities are proven. Eventually you could work anywhere from 40 to 60 hrs/week.
1) Excellent comprehension of colloquial, spoken American English of various accents
2) Excellent written American English spelling and grammar
3) Excellent personal and social skills, including an understanding of American culture and etiquette
4) Fast, accurate typing skills (60 WPM required, 90+ peak WPM preferred)
5) Computer literacy and the ability to quickly learn new web-based interfaces
6) A reliable broadband Internet connection and screen resolution at least 1366x768
7) A positive attitude! This is a must, as in the course of your work you will inevitably communicate with depressed individuals and may encounter uncomfortable social situations.
8) The oDesk Preferred Qualifications, which will be strictly observed. Note that for cost and culture-fit reasons, we typically only hire from the Philippines.
1) Listen to and watch audiovisual streams of one or more people talking with you
2) Role-play as a lovable creature with memories and a personality that may be different from your own
3) Type appropriate conversational responses in real-time
4) By doing 1-3 above, provide companionship and emotional support for lonely seniors who may be suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementia
5) Use a web interface to view/enter/manage data and information applicable to 1-4 above. This involves writing in standard US English.
6) Creatively and proactively start conversations based on family photos and text comments.
7) Perform other related tasks as needed during your assigned shifts. E.g. SEO & chat support.
We are an exciting, growing company from MIT. For more information, please see www.gerijoy.com. If you believe you are a good fit for this position, we look forward to working with you to bring joy into the lives of seniors and their families!
[Thanks for reading the entire job description. To show your diligence, please type "AHOY" as the first word in your cover letter. Applications that do not follow this instruction correctly will not be read, so you'll have a big advantage!]