We're looking for a full-time PHP developer who is fluent at Object Oriented Design, capable of working creatively and with little direction. You will be working primarily in PHP on LAMP systems, but will need to be flexible as you may end up doing some client-side work, and certainly plenty of MySQL as well as whatever else may be thrown at you.
For the right candidate, we expect to have consistent, full-time work for the foreseeable future.
The following skills are very important to us, and you really should be able to demonstrate:
* Solid, relevant and recent PHP experience
* Comfort with the Linux platform and command line
* Understanding of Object Oriented Design, when to use it and when not to.
* Creativity - ability to understand a problem and find a solution without requiring a specific set of tasks to fulfill.
* Well-documented code - you won't be working alone and other developers should be able to understand decisions you've made and how to work with them.
* GIT and/or SVN experience, or possibly other source control software.
* MySQL, especially command-line
It would also be helpful (not required) if you have:
* Codeigniter or other MVC framework experience
* Doxygen experience
* HTML(5) and CSS(3) usable experience (ability to make tweaks, basically)
* Linux system administration knowledge
About Geisel Software, Inc.
We are a software consulting company specializing in embedded development, web applications and mobile development. Our core development team is a small, experienced and hard-working bunch with a diverse set of interests and experience. We're looking to bring someone else into the fold who can compliment our core competencies and expand our development capacity.
We focus hard on delivering good software, quickly. That means we stay disciplined such that we write easy-to-understand code that's written efficiently and quickly. It's not easy to design well and still move with an agile effectiveness, but we believe it's part of staying focused on delivering great software, quickly.
Follow Directions(!!) for your cover letter:
* Please DON'T send us a list of the last 50 websites you've designed. Feel free to include 1 or 2 of your favorite references, but no more than 2.
* Please DO include relevant experience you have regarding core competencies here. Please DON'T try to hit each and every skill mentioned here. Focus on your key areas of expertise and PHP experience. We're sure you can learn the rest if you need to. However, if you have significant experience in a particular area, please feel free to mention that.
* Include a link to your online resume if it's not on oDesk. You don't need one, but you can include the link if you do have one.
* Please DO let us know your availability. If you're busy with another client right now, that's alright. Just let us know when you would be available to start at around 40 hours a week.
* Please take 1 paragraph to describe PHP's OO features. Tell us why you love them, why they suck, how to use them, whatever. Just give us a quick explanation so we know you understand it.
Thanks for taking time to read the description. If there's anything else you'd like to know about our typical projects or this job, or whatever, feel free to ask them in the cover letter. We'll do our best to respond.
Skills: linux, mvc, administration, agile