Filemaker Business Systems Developer
Experienced IT consultant for over 15 years, moved into developing Filemaker solutions over 5 years ago. Experienced with Filemaker 10-14, in Pro, Pro Advanced, Go and Server, including Web Direct.
Presently the managing director of a retail company with a number of sites, most of my development has been for my own business and personal needs.
Current open projects include
- iPad 'data collection' system. Using iPads to create field reports that are synchronised to a central server over UK cellular network. This system employes a 'home grown' system to deliver files to iPads in the field, then synchronise back.
- A couple of 'education based' databases in the US and Europe. These are quite specific to their respective fields. One is delivered to multiple clients via Web Direct. This new technology is a vast improvement from the previous IWP element to FileMaker, but is still an emerging technology. It has a number 'quirks', many of which are undocumented. I now have a good understanding of this technology.
- Full multi site "simple EPoS till system", reporting to a centrally hosted server for reporting to iPhone/iPad. This "easy to use, but complex in design" system allows for near real time checking of 3 cash registers in 3 different sites remotely via iPhone. All built on Filemaker technologies.
- Over 2500 member database, tracking membership of over 200 "groups" and associated subscriptions. This database is shared online to ~20 users with differing access and usage requirements. This has involved separate development, layouts, scripts, for each role. The information in this database now spans back to 1994, when it was kept in a number of Paradox for DOS databases, one for each year. These were ported, via DBase and Excel into a "Filemaker conversion package" that manipulated the data into a single entity.
- Work with an external Funeral company to assess requirements and formulate a design for various business needs. This is ongoing work.
- A number of simpler systems to track cash take, banking, travel expenses, stocktaking, etc. Some of these are hosted for multi user input.
I mainly try to develop Filemaker solutions to appear as fully fledged client applications, with complete control of the user experience. I hide the 'out of the box' Filemaker menu system, and have developed a number of equivalent controls to navigate records, perform finds, or display the records being shown. I very much believe in the Apple 'usability model'. The 'simple to use' EPoS system I have developed requires no documented staff training to use.