Rails dev - Linux admin
Over the past 20 years I have been involved in several large projects including both software and hardware elements. I am looking to bring my expertise to businesses that have complex needs but don't have the volume to justify the expense of in-house talent.
My skills include:
- Project and team management: I have led web development projects from 3 to 30 people, using RUP, Scrum and homegrown methodologies. I know how to earn trust and gain the respect of collaborators, management, peers and clients.
- Rails - I love the platform and have been working almost exclusively in RoR projects in the past 4 years for several different clients.
- I prefer to use Thin, nginx, haml, jQuery, Semantic UI, Webistrano, MySQL or SQL Server, RVM and Rails 4.0 for new RoR projects.
- I have experience consuming services like Twilio, SendGrid, UrbanAirship, and interfacing with payment gateways (usually Stripe and PayPal).
- TCP/IP networking in general and the most popular protocols: HTTP/HTTPS, SMTP, POP3, SNMP, SSH. I also have a lot of experience troubleshooting connectivity and performance problems.
I enjoy working with peers, but I can also work alone as developer and server administrator in small projects.