Technology & Business Consultant
As a consultant, I am helping early-stage companies to work around expertise gaps in project management, business analysis, software architecture, user experience.
Ten years of IT career in various companies (with changing roles: software engineer, project manager, founding member in a startup) helped me to develop a solid mix of technical and business vision, that is necessary to successfully solve cross-functional problems of young growing companies.
As a software architect, I can clarify requirements, create specifications and execution plans, build initial prototypes and/or supervise engineering team work for:
1. Migration of the existing web apps into the cloud infrastructure
2. Implementation of container-based architecture
3. Implementation of fault-tolerant scalable web services
4. Design of REST APIs, protocols, data exchange formats and domain-specific languages
5. Design of Map/Reduce algorithms for sophisticated data analysis
6. Building robust ETL infrastructure for massive data processing (such as feeding data into machine learning systems, or multimedia transcoding)
7. Implementation of systems for infrastructure health monitoring, capable of predictive detection of problems.
8. Implementation of Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery practices (this also includes revision and transformation of existing engineering workflows)
9. Empowering applications and infrastructure security with properly designed data encryption, authorization and authentication workflows.
(Technical skillset: Linux, Ruby, Python, Perl, Bash, Git, Nginx, Hadoop, Hbase, Mongo, MySQL, PostgreSQL, LXC, Docker, Vagrant, Chef, Jenkins, Heroku, AWS)
As a PM consultant with technical background, I can review existing operations, help to design and establish new workflows and practices, determine company-specific requirements to project manager duties and supervise her work in order to:
1. Identify existing sore points and their root reasons
2. Structure engineering team work to improve effectiveness while keeping climate healthy
3. Help team to learn and adopt best practices in order to minimize time waste and to fully reveal their potential
4. Make sure that processes are results-oriented and aligned with actual business needs
5. Establish optimal practices for risks and resources management
6. Help company to learn from failures and do not repeat mistakes twice
Also, a business advisor, I can help early stage companies, startups and entrepreneurs to:
1. Conceptualize and formalize business models
2. Perform initial analysis of market, competition, formulate mission-critical hypothesis and identify risk/uncertainty zones
3. Understand required operational activities
4. Create and review strategies and tactical action plans, determine what to focus on
5. Build convincing value-oriented marketing materials and user experience
6. Identify and formulate challenging business problems and figure out possible solutions
In all projects, I use simple set of rules to ensure customer success:
1. Preferred format of engagement is fixed-price contract with milestones
2. Hourly-based contracts are possible, but only if customer is fully understanding risks and tradeoffs
3. Before the work start, brief (unpaid) assessment of the project is required to agree on possible roadmap, deliverables and costs.
4. Results of my work must be tangible (i.e. at least a document with suggestions and conclusions must be produced for any milestone), unless customer explicitly requests for the opposite
5. I am open to share my knowledge, answer extra questions and give additional advices over the course of a project, as long as customer wants this
6. When project is over, customer is not left alone: it’s always possible to ask questions and either to get simple answers for free or to discuss new paid engagements for more complex issues.
Not sure if your problem fits my profile? Do not hesitate to send a message, let’s figure it out together!