Professional English as a foreign / second language teacher
My name is Philip Raymond, and I'm a professional native english as a foreign / second language teacher.
Originally from London, England, I moved to Peru in 2008. In 2009 I took the TEFL/TESOL certification course, and have been teaching English ever since. I have taught in Peru, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Mexico and, most recently, Brazil (which is where I currently live).
Over the last 6 years, I have gained extensive experience in a variety of different ESL settings, from large classroom groups, to one-on-one lessons over skype. My teaching style is based, primarily, around 2 key ideas:
1) The students should practice speaking English in the class as much as possible.
2) The students should have fun, and ENJOY the process of learning English.
Although these are the two main ideas of every lesson, I use a number of other techniques to engage and support students, too. These include:
1) Eliciting- pulling the information from students. I do this using pictures, media, sounds, videos... anything that can SHOW, or DEMONSTRATE the idea, which doesn´t require the teacher to explain in the students native language (English only).
2) Concept check questions- checking that the student understands the ideas with a series of questions which, if answered correctly, demonstrate the students understanding.
3) Student talk time- the concept that the STUDENTS should do the majority of the talking in the class (as it´s them who have to practice the language). In every class, I guarantee that students speak in English for 60% (or more) of the time.
4) Error correction- sometimes, we make mistakes; this is part of the learning process. So, when an error comes up, I positively and effectively have my students correct the error, and then we practice the correction together. This ensures that the student will be a lot less likely to make the same error again, and has proved to be a very popular strategy with students.
With these key ideas at the core of every lesson, I have received consistently positive feedback from students from a variety of different backgrounds and levels. For me, teaching English is more than just a job- it's my passion, and I take pride in helping others effectively reach their goals in english language learning.
Regards, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.