Versatile, efficiency-driven Project Manager with over 25 years of experience in an FDA cGMP regulated industrial manufacturing environment ranging from initial concept scoping through project closeout. Cost-effectively manages multidisciplinary project teams with budgets up to $20 million. Repeatedly achieves significant savings by using proactive Front End Planning (FEP) multidisciplinary integrated team approach to consistently maintain change orders for bid packages at 50% below industry average. Focusing on customer service, quality of design, installation and operation I have received multiple awards and recognition for personal and project management performance excellence including Fast Track installations and Value Engineering.
ABBOTT NUTRITION (AN), Columbus, OH - SENIOR ENGINEER (2010 – 2012)
Responsible for Project Management process improvements of all phases of the project lifecycle. Led the following programs:
• Develop and maintain permanent engineering specifications with change control for Process, Filling and Packaging disciplines
• Develop a new Bid Package Process, Scope of Work in template format, and a template driven Bid Package for Validation Service Providers
• Green Belt Project – Develop and maintain metrics to measure bid spreads and percent change orders for all contracts and PO’s for capital projects
ABBOTT NUTRITION (AN), Columbus, OH - SENIOR MECHANICAL ENGINEER (1990 – 2010)
Served as Project Manager/Lead Facility/Process Utility Engineer for the following capital improvement projects:
Clean Room Class Modification – Project Manager – Device Manufacturing Columbus OH
• Managed the design, installation and validation of modifications to upgrade a 10,000 sf medical device assemble facility from ISO 9 to ISO 8 room classification.
Lead Facility/Process Utility Engineer - New 1700 SF Aseptic Processing Room – Columbus OH
• Managed Superfast track project to install a sloped finished floor with drainage for critical processing equipment installation in the middle of existing production area. Goal was met with equipment set 15 weeks after management approval of project as a go.
• The above schedule included engineering with formal client reviews, competitive bidding, building permit approvals, demolition and construction.
• Designed and managed installation and commissioning of the process piping for the Aseptic Surge Tank.
• Managed completion of all Facility/Utility and Process Utility validation for the above.
Fluid Bed Dryer – Project Manager – Sturgis MI
• Managed the design, installation and validation of a new fluid bed dryer on infant formula powder dryer.
Project Engineer - Industrial Pre-Treatment Plant – Sturgis MI
• Managed a 4-year, $18 million installation of a 750,000 gallon/day Sequenced Batch Reactor Industrial Pretreatment System achieving Abbott’s first LEED gold certified building. Successfully delivered the project 2 months ahead of schedule as well as $500,000 (3%) under budget on capital and $500,000 (16%) under budget on expense.
• Effectively incorporated the needs of internal and external stakeholders from engineering, manufacturing, EH&S, regulatory agencies, and the City of Sturgis by utilizing Front End Planning (FEP), and an Integrated Team approach prior to Abbott’s adopting this practice.
• Realized significant cost savings by utilizing design-build bidding to effectively source and manage all external engineering, construction, construction management, commissioning, and training services, which required the use of only two internal staff for implementation. Contract was $11.6 million with 4% change orders.
Project Manager/Sole engineering support – Utility Upgrades Multiple Locations
• Managed over 15 utility upgrade projects to install/replace generation equipment and distribution systems for multiple locations at FDA cGMP industrial manufacturing facilities over 500,000sf.
• Types of Utilities :
• Steam – Regular and High Quality
• Compressed Gases – Oil Free, High Quality, Breathable, Nitrogen (liquid/generated) and Carbon Dioxide
• Waters – City, Well, Chilled, Softened, RO, Ingredient, Carbon/Green Filtered, Deionized/Distilled, Process HW
• Heating and Cooling – Steam, U-Tube, Plate and Frame, Refrigerant, Ammonia
• Generation Equipment (10 yr full cost analysis) – Chillers, Evaporators, Boilers, Air Compressors, Desiccant Air Filtration, Cooling Towers, RO/Carbon/Green/Soft Water Filtration, Stills
Professional Development Courses
Project Management Courses – Skillpath, Battelle
Safe Methods of Asbestos Removal – Univ of Cincinnati
Green Belt LSS Basics and Statistics – Abbott Laboratories
PMP Certification – currently studying and expected to complete in 2015
SOFTWARE - Lotus SmartSuite, Microsoft Office/Project, Primavera, SharePoint