Writer, Editor & Destination Marketing Expert
Professional writer, editor and destination marketing expert with more than two decades of experience shamelessly and creatively promoting the people, places, organizations, events, activities and history of the South Carolina Lowcountry and Coastal Empire of Georgia, in print, online and in person. An avid traveler with an eye for detail specializing in the crafting and editing of clear, concise and compelling copy that sells.
Extensive background in the creation of marketing and promotional collateral, web copy, press releases, blog posts and social media updates, event calendars, online content and feature articles for visitor guides, private communities, non-profit organizations, public relations firms, real estate agents, lifestyle magazines, advertiser-driven publications and newspapers.
Editing & Proofreading
Skilled proofreader with demonstrated proficiency using The Chicago Manual of Style, The Associated Press Stylebook and house style guides. Competent in copyediting, content editing, line editing and proofreading of advertising copy, online content, feature articles, marketing collateral, screenplays and classified ads. Editorial calendar creation for assorted publications, websites and social media channels.
Computer & Internet Skills
Extensive experience using Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as Quick Books and Constant Contact. Blog writing and content creation using Joomla and WordPress, creation and management of various social media channels utilizing SEO keywords, shooting and manipulating images/video to post online. Data entry and database management experience.
Education & Professional Development
2015 & 2014 SC Governor’s Conference on Tourism & Travel
2015 & 2014 Marketing College, Southeast Tourism Society, Dahlonega, GA
1990 B.A. English - Villanova University
Director, Administration/Online Content
Lowcountry & Resort Islands Tourism Commission
- Overseeing online content creation and maintenance of SouthCarolinaLowcountry.com and various social media channels; production and proofreading of advertising and marketing collateral, including the Lowcountry Guidebook, writing press releases and promotion of special events. Assisting visitors with vacation planning and purchases at Frampton Plantation in Point South.
- Banking, accounts receivable/payable, insurance benefits administration, mailings, creation of monthly reports and providing general support to the Executive Director at this non-profit organization charged with promoting the four-county Lowcountry region.
Contributing Writer, Taste of Hilton Head magazine
Hilton Head Island, SC
- Feature articles on local restaurants, nightlife and events.
Jan 2012-Oct 2013
- Public Relations Specialist, Denarius Group
- Real Estate Marketing Assistant, Steve Plowden, Dunes Marketing Group
- Metadata Entry, BiblioLabs, LLC
- Content Editor, Sky Publishers/Reputation.com
- Screenplay Editorial Review Board, The Development, Ltd.
- Copywriter, Colleton River Plantation Club
- Volunteer Event Committee, LoCo Motion/Carolina Cups
Nov 1997-Jan 2012
Editor, Island Communications
Hilton Head Island, SC
- Writing, proofreading, editing and fact checking all copy appearing in Island Events magazine and the Official Guide to Hilton Head Island; advertiser-driven visitor guides with a combined annual circulation of more than 1.5 million copies. Contributing editor to Savannah Scene magazine. Updating and posting event calendars and local information using WordPress on several city websites, including HiltonHead.com, HiltonHeadIsland.com, Bluffton.com, Beaufort.com, Savannah.com, StSimonsIsland.com and PanamaCityBeach.com utilizing SEO keywords and tags.
- Creation of company newsletters, radio advertisements, new hire press releases, rate cards and other promotional collateral.
- Editor of the former Hilton Head-Bluffton Shopper newspaper; assistant editor and contributing writer for Lowcountry Lifestyles magazine.
- Rack card distribution contracts and inquiries for all Lowcountry Information Center locations; maintenance of magazine subscription databases and various other administrative duties.
March 2005-March 2006
Freelance Writer, Savannah Morning News
- Previewed arts and cultural events for the weekly Diversions section.
March 1992-Nov 1997
Lodging Administrative Assistant, The Sea Pines Resort
Hilton Head Island, SC
- Worked with local, national and international travel agents to book more than $400,000 in wholesale golf reservations each year.
- Booked individual lodging reservations with a variety of golf, tennis and honeymoon packages.
- Front of house department scheduling, lodging bank deposits and auditing of housekeeping invoices. Assisting the front desk, property management and PBX, as needed.