Translator EN, ES, FR, PT & Webmaster
Last active: 3 months ago
I am an experienced freelance translator of French, Spanish and Portuguese to English, as well as a court-approved interpreter of Portuguese / English for the Connecticut Judicial System. Beyond the Connecticut courts, I also have experience interpreting in Federal courts, depositions, immigration hearings, Worker´s Compensation hearings, as well as medical consultations, and other matters.
I am a U.S. Citizen, born right here in Connecticut, and formerly worked as a certified English teacher for grades 7-12 in several public schools. I have a B.A. in English Literature from U-Conn. English is my native language, but I am also fluent in Brazilian Portuguese and Spanish (having family from Brazil, Mexico and Puerto Rico). I have also taught Spanish in private and public institutions, and English as a Second Language. I studied French in high school and at Purdue University including various courses at the graduate level. I studied for a MLIS (Master of Library and Information Sciences) online via the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
I have experience in the translation of:
* labor, service and construction contracts, calls for bids, patents, sales contracts, stock arrangements, powers of attorney, technical specifications (cahier des charges), and all other manner of legal materials. This field comprises over half the work I do;
* clinical protocols, medical patents (mostly cardiac stents and arthroscopy devices), medical reports, lab reports, patient questionnaires, academic psychology articles and other medical materials, including portions of the book "Olhares: Fragmentos de uma Historia da Cardiologia Portuguesa / Visions: Fragments of a History of Portuguese Cardiology". Many articles that I translated from Portuguese to English for the Spanish Journal of Psychology at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid have been published in said review;
* Software localization, web sites and software user materials, faqs, manuals for medical devices and electronics, and similar materials, including portions of the Debian Administrator's Handbook (http://www.debian-handbook.info);
* Environmental, tourism, marketing and journalistic materials;
* Educational materials, professional correspondence, literary materials.
I am also a seasoned webmaster, web designer, web applications developer, and web server admin. See http://webs.tonybaldwin.me for further info on my webmastery services, I also develop software and web applications; see http://tonyb.us/software
See http://www.baldwinlinguas.com for my translation and interpreting services