Professional Photography, Graphic & Web Design Freelancer
Last active: 03/28/2014
I am a British photographer and graphic designer based just outside London in Richmond, Surrey, UK. My passion for visual arts developed early when at the age of 6, I bought my first 110 cartridge camera from an Oxfam charity shop and began capturing images wherever I went. Three decades later, my childhood hobby is now a full-time career.
As an active freelance photographer I work in a variety of media. While I predominantly shoot digital these days, I still very much enjoy working in 35mm, 120mm & Polaroid film. I also remain very active as a graphic and web designer.
Named the "Outstanding Graduate" in my area of study at Richmond, The American International University in London, I earned a First Class Honours Degree in Art, Design & Media. Further to my undergraduate training, I also hold a Master of Arts (MA) Degree in Art History from the same institution. My Masters dissertation relates to a series of early London Underground Posters advertising leisure travel to the countryside between 1908 and 1912. I am happy to share this written work - if you would like a digital copy please email me.
My work has achieved a high level of success and my photography is gallery represented internationally. My 2006 installation piece, a sculpture titled 'Unsolicited', was selected for the City of London Festival. This was displayed in St. Paul's Cathedral alongside the work of Yoko Ono.
Currently a Londoner, I have also lived in America (Massachusetts) and Germany (near Munich) and travel extensively, finding inspiration for my work in both the urban and rural landscapes I encounter. I speak competent French and German and I am always glad to travel for work. For enquiries or commissions, please contact me.
EXHIBITIONS & AWARDS: RANGE OF MEDIA FROM PHOTOGRAPHY TO INSTALLATION AND SCULPTURE
• Finalist of 6 from 2000+: National Geographic: Photograph for Nokia in Puerto Rico Competition
• tableau, 2011, Group Mixed Media, Self-Curated, Kingston, Surrey
• Horizons, 2010, Solo Photographic, Self-Curated, Richmond, TW9
• Pop-Up, 2009-2010, Group Photographic, Self-Curated, London, SW13
• Matthew Butterfield: New Work, 2009, Solo Photographic, Self-Curated, Richmond, TW10
• Richmond Winter Series, 2008, Solo Photographic, Angelo’s, Richmond, TW9
• City of London Festival, 2006, with Yoko Ono, St. Paul’s Cathedral, London, EC4
• Yellow Noise, 2006, Asa Briggs Gallery Space, Kensington, London, W8, UK
• Laissons une Trace, 2005, Asa Briggs Gallery Space, Kensington, London, W8
• Permanent Representation, JGF Gallery, East Twickenham, TW1
COMPUTER SKILLS & OTHER INFORMATION
• Highly skilled in: Mac OS X environment; Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat & Lightroom; Quark;
Dreamweaver, Aperture, Fireworks & Director; Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint & Entourage. Very familiar with:
Final Cut Studio, Flash, FTP Clients.
• Lived in Boston, USA (14 years) & Munich, Germany (4 years)
• Languages: English, conversational French and German
• Interests: Travel, Scuba Diving, Skiing, Charity Work (Cancer Societies and Sightsavers International)
• Online portfolio at: www.matthewbutterfield.com, www.facebook.com/matthewbutterfieldphotography