Unix and Network Administrator
Last active: 2 months ago
I have been using computers as a hobbyist since I was a child, and professionally since age 14. Starting with the Commodore64, then the Apple II. Later Macintosh, and Windows 3.1, through Windows 95, 98, NT, up to present Windows 7 machines.
When I was a teenager I discovered the wonderful world of free software. So much amazing, high quality software, and all of the source is included! I spent a lot of time exploring the FreeBSD ports collection and using FreeBSD. The first Linux release I used was Mandrake. Later, Gentoo, and many others. Today I use and recommend debian on servers. It is the best balance of stability, excellent package management, and a large repository of packages. For desktops, I currently use Ubuntu, but am starting to explore other options, including debian and arch.
I have extensive Unix and Linux system administration experience. Including, but not limited to:
* web servers, webapps, Joomla, Gallery2, Plone, PHPBB, Wordpress, SMF
* apache, apache2, nginx, lighttpd, MySQL, PostgreSQL,
* file servers, samba domain controllers
* game servers, quake3, Unreal, Minecraft, TF2,
* voice services, TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, Mumble,
* VoIP, h.323 & sip
* data security, data encryption, data destruction,
* IP cam security networks
My current areas of development interest are C, python, game programming, and microcontroller programming.