20+ years expert SQL database designer preferring MySQL and PHP.
Last active: 10 hours ago
I am one of the top database design specialists on oDesk. My sophisticated hand-crafted database design will save your organization significant time and money.
I am a serious professional with over 20 years of experience as a programmer and database specialist. My emphasis has been on creating elegant SQL database design integrated with user-friendly front-end software (desktop and web applications).
I have worked mainly as a database designer, programmer and database administrator for bioinformatics, biochemistry, molecular biology, and biomedical research applications. I also have extensive experience programming database-centric software (websites, web applications, desktop applications) for publishing, business, financial, personnel and other purposes.
One of the things I enjoy most is creating database schemas which make sense for both programmers and non-programmers, designing with an eye toward flawless data integrity, maximum maintainability and optimal performance. I love crafting websites and web applications which perform with shocking speed. It makes for a better experience for users, developers and administrators. My expertly designed database systems - with well-written queries, intelligently chosen indices, and sensible caching strategies - can easily perform 10 to 100 times faster (using the same underlying hardware).
If your data and information organization is already in great shape, and if you are satisfied with how your database-integrated software and website performs, then you probably don't need a high-end expert like me. I can make routine modifications, add to well-crafted existing systems, etc. But so can many other people.
But if you're just getting started on a new system that you want done right, or if you suspect your database website programming strategy needs an overhaul, then I can get you on the right track in a short amount of time.
* * * * * * * *
Let me mention a few of the client-friendly policies and practices I apply with all my clients. I don't do these things to distinguish myself from other contractors. (I would hope they all do the same.) I do these simply because this is how I would want to be treated if I was the client:
- I work for zero up-front payment; you can pay me when I'm done.
- With fixed-rate contracts, if you don't love what I do for you, you don't need to pay for it.
- You don't need to have your own web servers; I can host development and/or live production work on my own high-capacity servers.
- I don't mind working on a client's servers, or doing dev work on my servers and transfering finished work to client's servers.
- I do not charge clients for hosting their websites or software systems, or for moving their websites or software systems elsewhere.
- I provide clients with root log-in access to all the work I do for them; you are welcome to log into the server (cPanel, FTP, and phpMyAdmin) at any time and copy or back-up or move any work I do for you.
- If I am working for you, all work product, all source code, all database design belongs to you. Always. Period.
- I am happy to work with you and/or other programmers you enlist to work on a project; I am happy to pass off development work.
- I do not provide mysterious "black box" solutions. I am happy to have you look under the hood at everything I do. You don't need to know anything at all about the inner workings of a system. Or you're welcome to ask about the most intricate details.
- Do not be embarrassed to ask ANY question! I enjoy working with clients who have zero technical know-how in programming/databases/etc., partially because I appreciate their expertise in OTHER fields (real estate, art, medicine, law, science, civics, etc.) If you already know everything about databases and programming you probably wouldn't need me, would you?