Jennifer Anne Perez
Web Content Writer / Copy Editor - Urgent Projects Ninja
I’m a former reporter for the Los Angeles Times, an award-winning copy editor with a titanium-level technology background, and without question, one of the best content producers you’ll ever come across.
I believe, with every cell in my body, that there’s no place in this world for passive, boring corporate-style writing. You can explain something complicated with simple, straightforward, lively and compelling copy, without sounding too casual, basic, or in-your-face.
An added bonus? I do all my own work. It's all about quality control.
On the copy editing side, I've proofed and reworked web pages, books, newspapers, magazine articles, instructions manuals, white papers and FAQs. I use a three-step system that does far more than fix grammar. I "trim the fat" using active, economical language.
Here's where I excel the most:
1. Web content. Not only is my writing crisp and clean, I understand principles of SEO, social media, page layout and navigation. In my writing, there are no such things as blocky, long paragraphs or run-on sentences. I write with a lot of flair, but I’m economical with language.
2. Crowdfunding copy. Kickstarter, IndieGoGo, other platforms. It does not matter if you’re bootstrapping a cloud project, raising cash for a new type of battery, or driving donations for disease research, you need to tell a story. I’m not just a master storyteller, I’m a former podcaster who has interviewed people behind some of the most successful crowdfunding projects in existence. I know what works and I know how to woo an audience.
3. Tech writing. Writing about technology is more than a skill, it’s an art form. If your copy puts your readers into a coma and your conversion rate is pitiful, let me take your complicated product, learn how it makes lives better, and translate that into copy that will not just interest your audience, but make them want to buy what you have to sell.
4. Email marketing. I spent more than six years at one of the biggest email marketing companies on the planet. I know CAN-SPAM rules by heart. I understand exactly why an email ends up in the junk file and how to revive a dead campaign. Hire me and I’ll write high-converting campaigns that turn into sales, or informational emails that your readers will save (and share). Need a newsletter on how to clean an entire house in less than five minutes? Contact me – I can help.
5. Proposal and grant writing. Writing proposals is like being a lawyer. You’re not going to win until you successfully “make your case”. You give me the facts and stats, I’ll deliver the vision. I can create boilerplate copy that you can customize for each proposal you make on your own. I can analyze RFPs to see if they’re a good fit. I can write letters of intent, pry a budget out of a city clerk (most of the time), and track your project from start to finish.
Although I’ve posted an hourly rate, I prefer flat-rate projects. Visit my portfolio for work samples, and get in touch if you think I'd be a great fit.
As far as hourly rates go, here are some rates for "standard", one-off (or bulk) projects:
Press releases - $100-$150 each. Includes all interviews, writing, links, creation of boilerplate info at bottom, distribution to the service of your choice, edits, working with distribution service on edits, etc, Does not include price of distribution, but I can suggest services within your price range. Price depends on turnaround time and complexity of topic. Negotiable.
Web pages - $50-$80 a page, depending on subject matter and length. For a shorter page on a simpler topic, or a group of pages, we can develop a different rate. Negotiable.
Crowdfunding proposals - $300-$700 each. Includes everything, from social media network suggestions and strategies to PR and marketing tips. For a deep dive, where I spend significant time researching similar projects and successful techniques relevant to your product or service, you're looking at $700. For a general proposal that simply runs through tried-and-true techniques and strategies, $300. Either way, I'm giving you the keys to the kingdom. It'll be worth it, I promise. Negotiable.
Skype consulting - $50-$100 an hour. You name the topic, I'll come prepared. Negotiable.