Virginia Lynn Murdock
Library & Information Science Professional, open to new opportunities.
I am a library and information science professional with a strong background in writing, editing, proofreading, research, information management, reference services, web production, XML development, and XSLT development.
Not only am I a native English speaker, I am also a language geek with an expert command of English grammar, syntax, spelling, and the nuance that makes a piece of writing flow.
I consider my varied background to be a strength, as it has given me a breadth of experience that increases my versatility. I graduated magna cum laude from a top-tier liberal arts college, where I majored in psychology, minored in English, and took pre-medical courses. As a graduate student in English literature, one professor told me that I wrote the only publishable paper in the graduate-level course. As a graduate student in library and information science, where I specialized in web design and development, medical librarianship, and reference, I was awarded a couple of internships that led to full-time jobs.
I have many years of experience with various types of writing and editing, including academic, scientific, and technical writing. In addition to academic writing during my undergraduate and graduate studies, I worked for several years as a senior technical writer for a large enterprise software company, where I became known as the go-to person for editing and "one-voicing" documents that had been written by multiple people. In addition, throughout my career, I have often been the person tasked with any writing or editing that needs to be done.
My library science degree led me first into academic librarianship in the Stanford medical library and then into the world of open access publishing at the Public Library of Science (PLoS). At PLoS, I became the in-house expert on both XML and XSLT, and I was invited to speak on a panel at a technology conference at the National Library of Medicine.
I value integrity, reliability, and timeliness in my work. I am a hard worker who is conscientious, meticulous, and detail oriented. I am an avid learner, and not only do I learn new material quickly, I also relish the opportunity to learn new skills and strengthen current ones.
• Expert in English grammar, editing, copyediting, and proofreading.
• Highly proficient in scientific, technical, analytical, and creative writing.
• Superb research and analytical skills.
• Advanced information management and search skills.
• Excellent project management skills.
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills.
• Reading knowledge of French.
• Technical applications: OxygenXML, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, IntelliJ IDEA, Acrobat Professional, Parallels (virtual OS), Mac Terminal, various SSH and SFTP tools.
• Database searching: PubMed, PubMed Central, OVID MEDLINE, Science Citation Index, LANL SciSearch, BIOSIS, WorldCat, PsycInfo, Wilson databases, LexisNexis, InfoTrac, ERIC, OCLC Connexion.