Author and Editor
I'm a professional author and nationally acclaimed speaker. My first book, The World's Strongest Librarian, received rave reviews in The New Yorker, O Magazine, People, Parade, The Boston Globe, and many others. I write and edit quickly and cleanly, and I love it, which is why it works.
I'm a professional's professional with the expertise to tell your story. I was offered a book deal based on my blog and social media management. Whether you have a story to tell, a product to push, or just need strong feedback and editing, I'm your writer.
Awards & Honors
Huffington Post's most anticipated books of 2013
NPR Notable Non-fiction, 2013
Finalist, Goodreads Memoir of the year, 2013
Utah Social Media Awards - Best Blog, 2009
My services include:
Manuscript Editing and Critiques
This service is for those seeking a critique of a completed manuscript. You will receive:
- A full read-through.
- Theme suggestions.
- Structure suggestions.
- A 3-5 page written critique (only on manuscripts over 250 pages).
- A marked-up manuscript returned with margin edits on content, encouragement for what is working, occasional lavish praise.
- A one-hour phone or Skype call to go over your manuscript (additional hours available at the rate listed below.) All manuscripts are returned within 2 weeks unless otherwise stipulated.
- Writing a book.
This service is for those who do not have a completed manuscript, but prefer to work one-on-one while writing a book. This process includes:
- Individual Skype consultations, beginning with an initial conversation, during which you will be given specific tasks to help you identify your theme and argument.
- Follow-up consultations on how to structure the book and how to get it written in a reasonable amount of time.
Regular submissions may be sent to me in the form of 1,000-word installments of your manuscript. This way, you may choose to have me read the whole book, or only those parts giving you trouble. When a completed manuscript is produced, you have the option to submit it for a thorough manuscript review at the rates below.
This is for those wanting to learn how to write the personal essay, op-ed or blog post. This consists of Skype or phone consultations on:
- How to construct an essay, op-ed or blog post.
- How to get it written.
- How to edit for space.
- How to build a collection of essays for possible publication as a book.
- How to turn those essays into one, long-form manuscript.
This service is available for any length manuscript, and is performed by a reliable, fast and accurate copyeditor. Just ask. I’ll refer you.
$75/hour for reading and consulting on manuscripts of fewer than 100 pages.
$200/hour for Skype sessions on how to start a book.
$400/100 pages of a manuscript over 100 pages and up to 350 pages. After 350 pages we negotiate a price.
How to Begin
Invite me to apply to your project. Tell me the following things:
- What you currently possess – an idea for a book/essay, a work in progress or a completed manuscript.
- Which services interest you.
What you will get:
- A quick response.
- If we agree on terms, you will receive a commitment from me to do my best work.
- A follow-up letter telling you how to proceed.
(Note: You can pay per chapter but I require each milestone to be fully funded before we begin work.)
What you do not get:
- A guarantee of publication. No one can guarantee that. I promise that I will bring the full knowledge of my experience and personal work to your project.
- Gratuitous praise. I will always tell you the truth.
- Group Instruction
I'm available to teach memoir or fiction writing to large and small groups. I can provide:
- Memoirama, a one-hour multi-media presentation.
- A humorous one-hour TED-ish talk in defense of memoir, plus time for Q&A.
- Memoirama, plus a two-hour session of instruction in which students pitch me their - work.
- An initial lecture plus follow-up classes.
- A Master Class.