Systems Administrator and IT Engineer
I am an experienced Systems Administrator, having worked for many years with a broad range of fairly complicated technologies, products and tasks. I like to understand how an implemented system works and dislike relying on trial-and-error or luck. I am eager to analyze the costs and benefits of alternative solutions, examine the requirements of each situation and make informed suggestions on how they could better be served. I draw real satisfaction from automating routine tasks that would otherwise require human labor.
I prefer to work with Unix-like systems, but I have long experience in administering and supporting Windows Servers as well.
• Hardware: Assembling computers, identifying and replacing faulty parts
• Common Office software: Word/Excel/Access/Powerpoint
• Systems Administration: GNU/Linux (Slackware, Gentoo, RedHat/CentOS, ArchLinux, Debian), FreeBSD
and Windows Operating Systems
• Designing and Implementing secure IP Networks based on Ethernet and WiFi
• Installing and customizing numerous Network Service software, including: Postfix, Dovecot, Apache, Nginx, Varnish, MySQL, PostgreSQL, BIND, PowerDNS, NFS, Samba, OpenSSH, NTPd, Squid, Rsyslog
• Relational Databases: SQL
• Firewalls and Traffic Control: Iptables, Iproute2, PF
• Virtualization: Vmware ESXI, Microsoft HyperV, Linux Vserver, OpenVZ, FreeBSD Jails
• Languages: Python, Ruby, PHP, PERL and BASH (Note: I don't consider myself a Software Developer, but I am able to develop small applications that automate routine tasks or import/export/analyse/present data in helpful ways, following proper programming practices)