Professional Editor & Proofreader
I'm a freelance editor with 10+ years' experience. For several of those years, I was a medical editor. I now run my own editing business (copyediting, proofreading, and manuscript critique services) as well as edit and proofread for a small publishing house. My professional memberships include Editorial Freelancers Association, Christian Editor Connection, and The Christian PEN: Proofreaders and Editors Network.
In addition to my editing experience, I also have a strong creative writing background, with several poems, short stories, and articles published in literary magazines and periodicals. Fiction writing (primarily contemporary and historical) is my first love, and I regularly attend fiction-writing and editing classes online and at writers' conferences. I've also judged manuscript excerpts in fiction-writing contests. I'm represented by William K. Jensen Literary Agency.
I edit and proofread primarily using industry-standard MS Word Track Changes, but I'm also proficient with Google Drive and Scrivener.
My editing/proofreading projects have included but are not limited to:
* Book manuscripts
- Fiction novels and novellas (no erotica or explicit sex)
- Nonfiction, including self-help and medical-related
- Children's literature
- Inspirational (I am a long-time Christian and especially enjoy editing faith-based writings)
* Short stories (fiction and autobiographical)
* Personal statements for acceptance to graduate school and medical residency
* Articles, including medical and other journal articles
* University-level assignments written by students who speak English as a second language
* Blog posts
* Translated documents
My other background includes clinical experience in the medical field (primarily Internal Medicine and Pediatrics), post-secondary teaching experience as an instructor in a Medical Assistant program, and knowledge of nutrition, fitness, and various specialty diets (gluten-free, paleo, diabetic, multiple allergen).
My English language and editing proficiency is reflected by my oDesk test scores as well as my feedback from clients. I have well over 1000 hours' time on oDesk (fixed-price jobs are not included in oDesk's calculation of hours), take special interest in every document I edit, and consistently provide quality work within deadline.