** Skilled professional software engineer (cs & s/w eng degrees +PhD)
With 17 years experience in software engineering and development, I've worked
on a diverse set of projects. I consider myself a life-long learner and have
never hesitated to dive into becoming an expert in new domains. I've worked on
projects in academia, for businesses, defense contractors, government
laboratores in several countries and also many of my own varied projects.
As of May 2013 - I'm available 20hrs/wk (possibly up-to 30).
Some areas of expertise include:
- Distributed systems & architecting for the Cloud
- Relational & Object Database Design
- Simulation: physics simulation, 3D graphics (OpenGL, OpenSceneGraph)
- C++ desktop applications (UI, libraries, components)
- Bioinformatics (Biolab Matlab-like bio environment - Java/C#/.NET/Python)
- Networking (protocol design; wireless; TCP/IP; HTTP and related technologies)
- Embedded systems (hardware system design, construction & programming)
- Operating System design and implementation
- Language design, interpreter and compiler construction
- Human Computer Interaction (HCI) - user interface design & implementation (X11, Interviews/Fresco, Qt, Swing, AWT, Winforms, GTK+)
- Robotics: AI, Vision, Path planning, Inverse Kinematics
- Hardware: Sensors, VHDL, FPGAs
Most of development has historically been in C++, but in recent times I've
favoured C#, Java or Ruby.
For web applications and services I prefer Ruby but also have experience in PHP. Over the years I've used many languages and can pick up new languages and their library frameworks quickly. I've also designed
languages (upto the complexity of C++) and written interpreters and optimizing
compilers (so I've not met a language feature I'm not well versed with). I'm a
good communicator, proficient at technical writing and have published many
papers in peer reviewed journals and other publications.
I'm most interested in working on web sites/services, particularly where
complex distributed systems involving interacting databases are concerned or
in the area of virtual reality, 3D graphics and simulation systems (including
cutting-edge 3D game platforms).
However, in general I'll find anything challenging interesting to work on!