Business Finance Advisor and Accountant
With an academic background in accounting and corporate finance, I have 30 years' experience advising companies on matters of financial management, accounting, tax, and quantitative analysis.
I was formerly in the public accounting field---on the staff of a CPA firm---for a number of years, specializing in the area of corporate and partnership tax law, but also advising clients of every size and industry on general tax, accounting, and business financial management projects.
Migrating from public accounting to a self-employed consultancy business, I've continued to assist clients for the last 19 years as an independent advisor. My clients have represented many different industries and varied business models, as well as being situated across a broad band of the size spectrum.
With extensive expertise in corporate financial management, accounting, and business economics, my consultation engagements are focused within these areas, but include projects of nearly any size. The flexibility of being an independent, self-employed advisor permits me great latitude in the nature and scope of the projects in which I assist my clients.
Whether the client's need is the one-time development of a simple spreadsheet cash-flow forecast model, or a bit of advice on straightening out an out-of-balance accounting system, or a long-term buyout project involving target analysis and valuation along with deal-structuring advice, I thoroughly enjoy delivering a successful conclusion to the client.
As alluded to previously, my consultancy practice over the years has had me assisting clients in a wide range of projects. I have
• helped clients develop budgets, forecasts, and computer-based budgeting systems;
• engaged in tax research and advisory for issues both simple and complex;
• helped companies develop and utilize internal financial analysis functions;
• prepared advisory memoranda for clients' attorneys and bankers;
• assisted clients involved in buyouts and acquisitions both as sellers and as acquirors;
• developed extensive cash-flow and business activity forecast models for use in analyzing and valuing start-up companies and real estate projects;
• developed business plans and financing packages used in the successful completion of funding projects;
• assisted clients' own accountants and bookkeepers with month-end and year-end closings, including careful analysis of the appropriate journal entries and adjustments required of the specific situation;
• developed spreadsheet-based asset depreciation schedules for smaller clients with limited budgets which precluded investment in third-party fixed asset packages;
• utilized sophisticated quantitative methodologies to improve clients' own analyses of their asset management and returns, cash flow optimization, balance sheet and operating ratios, valuation of management-decision options, and the like;
• assisted clients with understanding and responding to various regulatory requirements such as tax reports and filings, and financial reports for loan covenants and licensing requirements.
In summary, I am happy to help clients in projects of any size, from simple consultations involving nothing more than a couple of brief phone conversations, to more involved and extensive projects dealing with complex business finance or accounting issues.