Last active: 05/23/2014
• Published journalist. Trained in Canadian Press style.
• Experienced web content writer with extensive research skills honed over professional and educational experiences.
• Experienced policy and procedural writer.
• Two years of technical writing experience in the financial sector.
• Knowledgeable of best search engine optimization practice and content marketing.
• Typing speed approximately 60 wpm.
LANGARA COLLEGE, Vancouver, B.C.
Certificate in Journalism
UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA, Vancouver, B.C.
Bachelor of Arts in History and Political Science Minor
Feb 2014 - Present
• Central in the general magazine layout and design. Job also entails significant organization and additional responsibilities outside of editing role, for instance, website, social media and payroll management.
• Plan and assign articles on a wide range of topics, from political, business, entertainment and lifestyle pieces, to fashion, community profiles and sports articles. Entails managing 12 to 16 freelance writers over duration of bi-monthly production deadlines.
• Understand business side of journalism industry and the critical importance of brand awareness, especially in new media era where competition for attention is robust.
Jan 2014 - Present
• Write on city politics, local crime and security, economic and public policy. Material is generally well received on social media. Platform: custom Wordpress content management system.
Jul 2013 - May 2014
• Published profile and long-form feature articles. Clips: Canadian Senator Yonah Martin, ex-Whitecaps defender Y.P. Lee, Korean international artist Kim Sooja, plus others.
Oct 2013 - Jan 2014
Jul 2013 - Mar 2014
• Wrote web content and product descriptions for diverse range of companies: AJ Weller Corporation, U.S. immigration law firm, U.K. lighting manufacturer, to name some.
• Assignments consisted of specific parameters with expected use of specific keywords at designated intervals to optimize for popular search engines. Strategic use of keywords is essential. Setting keyword-rich Alt tags for photographs is important for SEO too (and for the blind!).
ROYAL LEPAGE CITY CENTRE, Vancouver, B.C. Temporary Contract Basis
Web Content Editor
FIRST RESOLUTION MANAGEMENT CORP.
Jul 2010 - Mar 2012
Own a Nikon D3100 DSLR. Can shoot 1080p video. Access to Mac and Windows (PC). Proficient in both operating systems.
Proficient in latest Microsoft Office programs: Word and Excel. Highly experienced using Adobe software InDesign CS6, Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator CS6.
Very familiar using popular social media platforms to promote stories and market magazine. Experience in basic web design and use of popular content management systems: Wordpress; Joomla 3.x; Drupal.
Familiar with Google Analytics; manage Analytics account for magazine currently employed at. Also, use GoogleDrive and GoogeDocs almost daily (cloud computing) to complete editing and proofreading work.