Innovative Resume and Cover Letter Writer for Today's Job Market
Many people now hire resume writers, so even a professionally written resume often looks average. I'm uniquely qualified to make your resume stand out in today's market:
1. I have worked on resumes in many disciplines and helped people from C-level executives to new graduates. As a seasoned resume writer and member of the National Resume Writers’ Association, I'm an expert in this field’s current practices.
2. I have also been a recruiter, so I know how hiring managers select a resume from hundreds of others, and I understand the full hiring process.
3. I’m up to date with applicant-tracking software (ATS) systems. More than 70% of the resumes sent for a typical opening won’t be seen by human eyes because ATS systems first screen them. They require effective use of keywords and certain types of formatting. There are more than 140 ATS systems and they change quickly.
4. I have been a voracious reader for 30 years (with an 8,000-volume home library). Reading intensively on a daily basis has made me a more astute critic than writers who read less are--I can notice more of a resume's shortcomings. I can also see more nuances in a resume's language and understand how they will affect the hiring manager's impressions.
5. I’m an unusually versatile and creative writer. I have written resumes, web pages, a book about creativity (it will be published in January), and articles about art, travel, world cultures, creativity, business, and religious studies. I’ve traveled extensively in 34 countries. Extra creativity and the ability to look at people and their resumes in novel ways, with a larger range of ideas, make a big difference now that resume writing has become more competitive. I will be able to see all of your strengths in more ways than other resume writers will, and my versatility as a writer will allow me to give them more impact.
I'll be happy to give your resume a free critique and tell you what I can do to improve it. This is the best way to test a resume writer because it allows you to see his ability to evaluate a resume and think of ways to distinguish you. It also enables you to see his knowledge of the job market, which has recently undergone several profound changes--many resume writing techniques that worked in the past often fail now.
I have also learned how to craft resumes in ways that can influence the interview in your favor, and I can provide interview coaching. I also write cover letters, LinkedIn profiles, webpages, personal bios, and articles.
I'm new to oDesk, but I've had many happy clients in the past:
1. “I heard more innovative ideas from Brian about how to craft an effective resume than I have from anyone else. He understands how the rules for finding a job in this market have changed more than anyone else that I have worked with. I would emphatically recommend him to any professional who is looking for a job.” Dan M.
2. “I got much more intelligent advice from Brian about my resume than I did from anybody else. I got a job within one month of his consultation, and his work had a lot to do with it.” Prasad S.
3. “I had been working on my resume for two years and after numerous revisions and feedback from people, I had a resume that I thought was as good as I could get, but that was still not working for me in this market. I am impressed and relieved that in working with you, it took less than one hour to significantly improve my resume in ways I never imagined possible.” Anna S.
4. “I previously worked with two consultants about resumes, and Brian was more helpful than both put together. He sat down with me, analyzed my experience, and discovered several ways in which I stand out from my competition that I wasn’t aware of. As a recruiter, he has worked with many hiring managers, and he knows what they are looking for in candidates, and on their resumes. I would recommend him to anybody who wants to greatly increase his or her chances of getting interviews and jobs” Leonard S.
5. “Brian offered some ideas that added interest and clarity to my resume. With Brian’s help, my revised resume helped me stand out among the competition to get me my current job.” Brad B.
6. “ATC’s Brian Holihan really knows what he’s doing. He gave me lots of insights into the job market in Silicon Valley that I haven’t heard before. He also teaches some great interviewing techniques I haven’t heard anywhere else.” Harlo L.
As a resume writer and an explorer of world cultures, I focus on discovering the richness in people, and I've found that each person is unique and infinitely deep. I love to find more wonders in people and societies and write about them. I look forward to giving you a great new resume and many ideas about taking the next step in your career.