Last active: 30 days ago
I was born and raised in Caracas, Venezuela. I moved to Iowa in 2008 for College, soccer and to learn a new language, English, of course. Why Iowa? They offered me an athletic scholarship so I took it! I majored in Communications with a track in Graphic Design. Two years later, I transferred to Minnesota State University up in Moorhead, MN and I continued with a similar career which was Graphic Communications with an emphasis in Digital Design and Production.
While in school, I gained valuable work experience as a Print/Media Intern for the City of Moorhead, MN, where I worked closely with the Mayor, Council members and department directors. My internship started in May 2012 and continued until a little after graduation in May 2013.
Right after graduation, I moved to Orlando, FL and I currently work for the Walt Disney World® Resort Public Affairs as a Communications Associate supporting Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park.
Please visit my online portfolio at: http://be.net/avicuna
Walt Disney World
February 2014 – Present (7 months)orlando, florida area
• Responsible for the writing, design development and distribution of print and digital collateral for internal communications vehicles at Disney’s Hollywood Studios park
• Support internal communications initiatives to deliver high-quality messaging in an efficient and effective way
• Collaborate with other communications teams and business partners to ensure integrated communications
-Visually Certified Designer (visual.ly.com/avicuna) Aug 2014 - Present
SURÁ Music Band.
March 2012 – August 2013 (1 year 6 months)Caracas, Venezuela
• Conceptualized promotional collateral materials such as flyers, posters and first CD album for music exposure
• Designed and developed the band’s official website in Spanish using HTML 5 and bootstrap framework for a diverse audience viewing
-Print Media Artist
City of Moorhead
June 2012 – May 2013 (1 year)Moorhead, MN
• Solely responsible for design and development of layout of brochures, flyers, posters, e-newsletters and calendars for community distribution
• Enhanced written communication skills by gathering, editing, updating information and proofreading articles for the city publications and internal presentations
• Improved organization and time management skills by setting priorities and meeting different deadlines
• Performed administrative duties such as writing specifications, collecting bid letters, scaling images, and preparing files for Digital Display and Print Production
• Served as photographer for a variety of city events and edited them for print and electronic use
• Collaborated and worked closely with City Officials including the Mayor, City Council members and department directors to coordinate strategies for new and better communication initiatives
Waldorf College Torch Magazine
August 2010 – May 2011 (10 months)Forest City, IA
• Developed strong creativity and organization skills by creating layouts for monthly campus magazine
• Proven self-starter by writing stories and designing layouts to communicate different school events
• Demonstrated strong consistency in design by maintaining school branding and marketing standards