Leading site for online work publishes index of top skills businesses are seeking on the Web.MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - March 3, 2009 - Elance, the leading site for online work, today released employment trend data that highlights hiring hotspots and the top skills that businesses are seeking on the Web. The "Elance Online Work Index", a composite index based on job posts and skills data drawn from 100,000 jobs posted on Elance over recent months, reveals that businesses are actively pursuing candidates who have design, computer programming, technical, online marketing, research, writing and administrative skills. Companies that are hiring online professionals to supplement existing staff are seeking expertise in Graphic Design, PHP, MySQL, Article Writing, HTML, Adobe Illustrator, WordPress, Photoshop, Flash, Search Engine
Optimization and Blogs.With shrinking budgets and growing work loads, marketing and IT departments are increasingly turning to online work as an alternative to hiring full-time. Online work allows businesses to connect with independent professionals to get their work done while maintaining flexibility. In February, companies posted 23,000 new jobs on Elance, building on the 250,000 jobs and $100m worth of online work posted on Elance in the last 12 months. Notable hiring trends surfacing in February's Elance Online Work Index include:
- Companies and consultants are looking for and getting help building world-class websites, hiring experts in PHP (#2), MySQL (#3), HTML (#6), CSS (#8), XHTML (#17 - up ten spots), Joomla (#19) and AJAX (#25).
- As businesses look for help driving revenue and collecting payments, PayPal (#41) integration skills have appeared on the list for the first time.
- Graphic Design (#1) tops the charts for the second month in a row with huge demand from companies and agencies for creative services including Logo Design (#4), Adobe Illustrator (#9), Photoshop (#11), and Flash (#12).
- Marketers have discovered the customer acquisition power of great online content, and consequently content creation skills are hot including Article Writing (#5), Web Content (#7), WordPress (#10), Blogs (#13), Online Writing (#22), and eBooks (#26).
- Generating top line revenue is on everyone's mind, and as such businesses are hiring people with the skills to drive revenue including Search Engine Optimization (#15), Lead Generation (#16), Marketing Strategy (#18), Sales (#27), and Market Research (#29).
Businesses continue to need help with administrative work as illustrated by demand for Admin Assistant (#14), Data Entry (#20), Microsoft Excel (#24), and Typing (#36).
|15||Search Engine Optimization||-1|
About Elance, Inc.Elance is the leading site for online work, where businesses connect with independent professionals to get work done. On Elance, businesses find the experts they need plus the tools to manage online work from hiring to collaboration to making payment. Elance offers companies flexibility, cost effectiveness and instant access to a vast pool of skilled and tested talent. Professionals use Elance to find work, deliver great results and get paid for doing what they do best. The company is privately held and headquartered in Mountain View, California. For more information, visit Elance at http://www.elance.com.
# # #Elance and the Elance logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Elance, Inc. in the United States and other countries.