Survey reveals trends in entrepreneurship; online hiring ranks as the most essential cloud-based service for startups
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — March 28, 2011 — Elance, the leading platform for online employment, today introduced Startup Cloud, a new onramp resource that provides proven tactics, best practice strategies and advice to power startups tapping into the human cloud. As part of the Startup Cloud program, Elance is partnering with The Founder Institute to help entrepreneurs find the best talent to build their dream companies. Elance will also be giving away three Startup Kits, which include $500 in Elance services, to get businesses started building their online teams. According to the Kauffman Foundation, Americans are turning to entrepreneurship more than ever before, pushing the rate of startups to a 15-year high in 2010. One of the biggest game changers for startups in the past 10 years is the emergence of cloud technologies and services that help businesses launch products and services quickly and cost effectively. Elance conducted a survey of 250 small business startups, which revealed a bullish outlook on entrepreneurship and a growing reliance on cloud technologies. Top trends cited by survey participants include:
- Entrepreneurism is the New Black—The Elance survey revealed that 92% of respondents are optimistic about small business growth in 2011. This entrepreneurial spirit is being celebrated and supported from the White House to Wall Street as a key strategy in driving economic growth.
- The Cloud is King—The cloud is critical to most startups today, and online hiring topped the list of cloud-based tools and services most important to their companies: Online Hiring (57%), Web Services (44%), File Storage (42%), Online Application Suites (30%), Accounting and Finance (20%).
- Tapping into the Human Cloud—One of the key challenges facing startups is hiring team members for their organization. Startups embrace online hiring for its cost effectiveness (78%), flexibility (74%) and better candidate information (63%).
- Help Wanted/Most Wanted—Access to in-demand talent is a key concern for small businesses. Startups reported the most needed, but hardest talents to find and afford are: Web Programmers (42%), Marketing Strategy Experts (28%), Graphic Designers (28%), Online Marketers (24%) and Writers (20%).
- A Blueprint for Building Your Startup in the Cloud
- 10 Key Online Hires For Your Startup
- Tips for Managing Your Online Team
- Startup Stories: How They Did It
About ElanceElance, the world’s leading platform for online employment, helps businesses hire and manage in the cloud. For businesses looking to staff-up a team on an hourly or project basis, Elance offers instant access to qualified professionals who work online. Elance provides the tools to hire, view work as it progresses and pay for results. Elance is faster and more cost-effective than job boards, staffing firms and traditional outsourcing. For skilled professionals who want to work online, Elance offers access to qualified clients, a virtual workplace and guaranteed pay for great work. Contractors have already earned more than $360 million on the Elance platform. The company is privately held and headquartered in Mountain View, California. For more information, visit www.elance.com.
Phone: (415) 963-4174 ext. 4