What is Clojure?
Clojure is a dialect of Lisp for the Java Virtual Machine (JVM). It’s a general-purpose programming language designed from the bottom up to support immutable data structures, concurrency, and functional programming.
Like other members of the Lisp family tree, Clojure code is a valid data structure. This makes Lisp great for metaprogramming, as its statements can be accessed and manipulated like any other data structure.
How do you hire a Clojure developer?
You can source Clojure talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a Clojure developer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview Clojure developers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of Clojure developer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a Clojure developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced Clojure developer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their Clojure development services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a Clojure development job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample Clojure development job post titles:
- Full-stack Clojure engineer needed for a fintech application
- Seeking a Clojure developer for a web app (MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Angular)
- Need help with a big data analytics pipeline (Apache Spark and Clojure)
An effective Clojure job post should include:
- Scope of work: From applications to data processing pipelines, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, technologies, or developer tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Clojure developer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of Clojure job responsibilities:
- Build and deploy functional, highly scalable, secure applications
- Write performant, well-documented, testable code
- Collaborate with a team of developers and designers to carry products through the software development lifecycle (SDLC)
Clojure developer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a Clojure developer. Here are some examples:
- Working knowledge of Clojure
- Functional programming
- Application development
- Project-specific technologies (e.g., Kafka and Spark for high-throughput data streaming)