How to hire creative writers
Need help crafting compelling narratives, believable characters, or interesting dialogue for a novel or film? A creative writer can help.
So how do you hire creative writers? What follows are some tips for finding top creative writers on Upwork.
What is creative writing?
Creative writing is a broad term for writing stories, screenplays, scripts, dialogue, poems, and other creative works. Whether your goal is to find someone to ghostwrite your memoir or you just need believable dialogue for your video ad, a creative writer can help.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in creative writing freelancers:
- Creative writing
- Editing and proofreading
- Use-case specific skills (e.g., script writing, fiction writing, poetry)
How to shortlist creative writing freelancers
As you’re browsing available creative writing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Writing specializations. You want a creative writer who understands the type of media you’re trying to produce, whether it’s a novel, a film script, or music lyrics.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., telling compelling nonfiction stories in a journalism setting).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular creative writer.
Why do you want to hire creative writers?
The trick to finding top creative writers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to find a ghostwriter to help you finish your graphic novel? Or are you looking for a scriptwriter to write dialogue for a video ad? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective creative writing job post
With a clear picture of your ideal creative writer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective creative writing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From satirical essays to short stories, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, genres, or writing styles, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to bring your creative writing project to life? Log in and post your creative writing job on Upwork today.