How to hire creative writers
Need help crafting compelling narratives, believable characters, or interesting dialogue for a novel or film? A creative writer can help.
So how do you hire creative writers? What follows are some tips for finding top creative writing consultants on Upwork.
How to shortlist creative writing professionals
As you’re browsing available creative writing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Writing specializations. You want a creative writer who understands the type of media you’re trying to produce, whether it’s a novel, a film script, or music lyrics.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., telling compelling nonfiction stories in a journalism setting).
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular creative writer.
How to write an effective creative writing job post
With a clear picture of your ideal creative writer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective creative writing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From satirical essays to short stories, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, genres, or writing styles, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to bring your creative writing project to life? Log in and post your creative writing job on Upwork today.
CREATIVE WRITERS FAQ
What is creative writing?
Creative writing is a broad term for writing stories, screenplays, scripts, dialogue, poems, and other creative works. Whether you’re goal is to find someone to ghostwrite your memoir or you just need believable dialogue for your video ad, a creative writer can help.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in creative writing professionals:
- Creative writing
- Editing and proofreading
- Use-case specific skills (e.g., script writing, fiction writing, poetry)
Why hire creative writers?
The trick to finding top creative writers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to find a ghostwriter to help you finish your graphic novel? Or are you looking for a scriptwriter to write dialogue for a video ad? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a creative writer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced creative writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their creative writing services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.