What is travel writing?
Travel writing traditionally refers to the art of telling stories about one’s experiences traveling abroad. More broadly it also includes any content that covers a topic in the travel industry, often for marketing purposes.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in travel writing professionals:
- Travel writing
- Travel photography
- Content marketing
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Writing specializations (e.g., copywriting, business writing, journalism)
Why do you want to hire travel writers?
The trick to finding top travel writers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to find someone to contribute regular content to your blog covering various topics across the travel industry? Or are you looking for first hand accounts and photos from an established travel blogger to feature your business on their blog? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
HOW TO HIRE TRAVEL WRITERS
When it comes to digital marketing, content is king. Travel writers create content for the travel industry.
So how do you hire travel writers? What follows are some tips for finding top travel writers on Upwork.
How to shortlist travel writing professionals
As you’re browsing available travel writing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a travel writer who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., travel photography).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular travel writer.
How to write an effective travel writing job post
With a clear picture of your ideal travel writer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective travel writing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From SEO blog posts to journalism articles, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, writing styles, or travel locations, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to commission travel content for your website? Log in and post your travel writing job on Upwork today.
FAQS FOR HIRING TRAVEL WRITERS
How much does it cost to hire a travel writer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced travel writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their travel writing more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How long should you contract a travel writer to complete your project?
As difficult as it is to estimate how long you will need a travel writer, budgeting time is very important to keeping your project on track.
Be prepared to budget more time for more demanding travel writing projects. For example, writing a handful of travel-themed listicles will typically take less time than arranging for a travel blogger to stay at your hostel and write a review.
What are the steps involved to hire travel writers?
Here’s how to hire travel writing consultants in four simple steps:
- Identify your project needs, whether it’s SEO articles or travel reviews.
- Define the scope of work and write a detailed job post. Be specific about deliverables (e.g., two travel blog posts a week).
- Review proposals and shortlist potential travel writers for unique skills needed to bring your project to life (e.g., providing professional quality photos alongside their content).
- Interview travel writing talent to gauge whether they’re the right fit for your project. Here are some sample interview questions.